Topic: Converters

I am a longtime user of phpBB and discovered PunBB last night. I am in love. It's speed and design amazes me. But then again, shiny objects amaze me. smile

I currently run phpBB for my games forums (http://forums.medievalbattles.com). I am wondering if there are any converters out there that can convert threads on phpBB to PunBB.

If not, then I will just have to make one myself.

Congrats to Kennel for making the best forum script that I have ever seen.

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

Re: Converters

*blush*

Unfortunately, there aren't any converters at all. I am however looking for someone interested in doing one :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'll take a shot at it. If you want to get in touch with me with anything you want me to add to the phpBB->PunBB converter, my email is: mako@medievalbattles.com

"You start coding. I'll go find out what they want." - Computer Analyst to Programmer

I've started the converter and I have a question.

PunBB and phpBB both have tables in the db for searching. On my PunBB forum, I have disabled searching. Are those tables really necessary? If so, what exactly is their purpose? I don't quite understand why have tables for when searching for data. When you could just do a query into the post tables to find what you are looking for.

You should ignore the search tables and instead instruct people to rebuild the search index in admin/maintenance after the conversion.

The search index is there for a number of reasons. Primarily because searching directly in the posts-table with the LIKE operator is very slow.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ah ok. Thanks man. And you can rebuild the search index? I did not know this...

How does the search index thing work? I've been wondering if there is a better solution than the LIKE operator before, never found any good solution...

It's quite complex actually. Have a look in /include/searchidx.php :)

I will not be able to finish the converter. I do not have the php knowledge that I thought I had to make a converter. If Cactuz wishes to do a converter, props to you man. It's hard as hell.

I might just try making one myself. We'll see. Is there perhaps someone who can give me a nice dump of a phpBB forum to work with?

I can send you one by email if you want... smile

I'll keep trying with it though. Maybe I'm approaching it from the wrong angle. I don't know.

ataylor wrote:

I can send you one by email if you want... :)

How big is it? Could you perhaps contact me on IRC (Quakenet). I'm in #punbb.

I'll try finnish mine, just for fun wink

I've mailed some info to ya Kennel.
Cactus, if you don't have a phpbb forum to work with/on, ask kennel to fwd the email i sent him (can't find your mail anyplace sad

It's a race it is! Who will complete the converter first? Taking all bets!

-