1 (edited by godp777 2005-10-29 04:53)

Topic: a little help for a complete newb... whichh would u suggest

ok i would like to add a forum to a web site that i am currently developing...my old webpage i have taken down becuase a couple of people were using the guest book as a forum of sorts so i let all the people know that i am in the works of creating a new and better webpage in flash and html....ok so know my question is this.. at home i do not have an internet connection so when i develop my webpage its not a problem because i do all the adjustments to my webpage and just open up internet explorer and check everything out...then just save everything to disk and upload it to the internet when i'm go over my bro's house 2 blocks away....now i was wondering if i could do the same for a forum... develop the look of it at home then upload it when i get to my bro's house...also what kind of host or webserver do i need for a forum..and since it will be a relatively new forum with probably 20 members from the jump (mostly friends) would i be better of just making my forum on mypunbb.com...i would prefer no advertisements because i would like to put up my own banners from other sites i am affiliated with but my monthly budget for a site would be less then $15...are there places that offer hosting capabilities in this budget with everything i need...my site would have flash movies...streaming audio and downloadlable content...mostly my songs from me and my band....SOrry for such a long winded question but any help would be greatly appreciated....

Re: a little help for a complete newb... whichh would u suggest

I think you should definitely use MyPunBB (to be fair, the ad is very minimal), then work from there. It'l stop a lot of heartache, and hosts with SQl and PHP not only cost more, but are usually very difficult to work with if you're not quite sure how it all works.

MyPunBB is not really an option if you want to host your own files, depending on how many hits you are going to get there are lots of hosts under $15 a month.

i am not looking to host on there i am looking to build a forum for my website and wanted to know if it's possible to build a forum offline as far as appearance and everything like u could do a webpage then upload it...and as far as a host goes i have found a couple of really good ones for cheap...but would i be better off getting a mypunbb forum or making my own from the downloads u got here..i don't have an internet conection at home so i would have to build it offline then upload it...also with the mypunbb forums is there a way i could remove the adverts like by paying a fee or something...i would like to throw banners up of other websites i am affialiated with....

godp777 wrote:

wanted to know if it's possible to build a forum offline

Well.. you can but it is more complicated than with simple HTML.
First of all you need a webserver and MySQL installed on your computer.
Make sure it works.
Then follow the installation instructions.
Once you are happy with the design get an account with PHP 4.3+ and MySQL
Do not copy the files from your machine there immediately, it's easier to do a fresh installation there, make sure everything works.
Now you copy all PunBB files *except* the config.inc.php that you've created on both machines to the web server.

that works unless you have a lot of root or relative links leading outside of the PunBB directory.

Please note that you must have a minimal understanding of MySQL and a webserver to do this.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

The fact is, it's not really that feasible.

godp777 wrote:

my monthly budget for a site would be less then $15...are there places that offer hosting capabilities in this budget with everything i need...

http://www.topclasshost.com/ possibly?

IdleFire wrote:

The fact is, it's not really that feasible.

?? It's easy, really.
I did it before and I don't see a real problem with it.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de