Re: PunBB 1.2.10

sverrir wrote:

Are you working in .net these days Rickard?

Well, yes. I work full-time as an ASP.NET developer smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I've just notived that when I click check for updates it still says the previous version, is that an error down my end?

Rickard wrote:

Just grab the diff or hdiff that takes you from 1.2.7 directly to 1.2.10. You can find them if you look around in the download archive. Then run the upgrade script 12_to_1210_update.php. That will bump up your version number in the database.

Sounds like just what I need. Thanks smile

Got the newsletter and updated using the diff file today. Thanks!

Holy crap I need to get with the time! I'm still using 1.2.5.

Indeed you do.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

updated two of my old ones today, one 1.1.5 - gah
the other 1.2.3
went JUST fine.
backup? nah, for sissies! wink

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

mi wrote:

one day you'll regret it wink

mi wrote:

updated two of my old ones today, one 1.1.5 - gah
the other 1.2.3
went JUST fine.

This guy didn't back up and his forum has been like that for a while now
http://d-vault.peerforces.com/forum/index.php

Update complete using hdiff.

Thanks cool

what can i do on this website?? know someone what  Dr.code is??

Just experienced some strange behaviour.

I updated my 2 forums on my host, everything is working just fine.

On my laptop, running WinXP, Apache 1.3.3, PHP 4.4.0 and MySQL 4.0.26, I get no styling on the forum. It's like it can't find Oxygen.css, it was working before upgrading to 1.2.10.

Neither header.php nor any of the styles were affected by the upgrade, so there must be some other reason it isn't working. Is the <link rel="stylesheet" ... tag in the markup?

Rickard wrote:

Is the <link rel="stylesheet" ... tag in the markup?

This is my header section:

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>My PunBB forum</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/Oxygen.css" />
</head>

The server is running on a local IP 192.168.x.x, could this be the case?

And style/Oxygen.css exists?

Rickard wrote:

And style/Oxygen.css exists?

Yes, I've done a directory comparison with Beyond Compare and everything checks out just fine.

I haven't changed anything on the laptop, just upgraded to 1.2.10. All the other PHP apps are working fine on this configuration.

I can't figure it out, if you want to see it, email me and I'll send you the domain name.

Figured out the problem, I upgraded to Firefox 1.5 RC1 a few days ago.

I cleared my browser cache and all is well now. Seems like old cache entries from FF Beta2 were hanging around and caused problems, go figure.

our dear friend, cache.

Rickard wrote:

I got fed up with all the crappy mass mailer applications out there, so I wrote my own in .NET:

http://punbb.org/stuff/mailtorrent.png
http://punbb.org/stuff/mailtorrent2.png

It took about an hour. Testing out maybe 10 other applications that didn't work properly took a lot longer.

Good mailers are rare. You don't feel like sharing the one you wrote? I'm having simular problems.

Nice to see that you were able to send without Telia eating it as spam - one at a time with 5 seconds inbetween or what method are you using?

tdh wrote:

Good mailers are rare. You don't feel like sharing the one you wrote? I'm having simular problems.

Sure. Just let me make it a little bit more suitable for distribution. Right now, a lot of things are hard-coded.

tdh wrote:

Nice to see that you were able to send without Telia eating it as spam - one at a time with 5 seconds inbetween or what method are you using?

Actually, I didn't put any kind of delay in there and it appears to have worked anyway. I'll add an option to wait X milliseconds between each send.

Rickard wrote:
tdh wrote:

Sure. Just let me make it a little bit more suitable for distribution. Right now, a lot of things are hard-coded.

Great! Looking forward to trying it out!

Rickard wrote:
tdh wrote:

Actually, I didn't put any kind of delay in there and it appears to have worked anyway. I'll add an option to wait X milliseconds between each send.

You probably should have that option, especially when we're talking larger bulks. Most good mailers (and some bad) use that kind of wait-functions to avoid spam-markings from servers and ISP's.

http://punbb.org/stuff/MailTorrent-1.0.zip

Since I initially only made it for myself to use, I'm sure it's pretty easy to break. It could probably use a few more try/catch blocks, but what the hell smile It's released under the GPL.

Rickard wrote:

http://punbb.org/stuff/MailTorrent-1.0.zip

Since I initially only made it for myself to use, I'm sure it's pretty easy to break. It could probably use a few more try/catch blocks, but what the hell smile It's released under the GPL.

Sweet! Just tried it out and it worked fine with my little test run. I think I'll give it a real go tomorrow with a mailing list of mine.

One thing kinda bugged me though: the tab index is really weird in the program, heh. Not a big deal really, though.

Also, others who want to try it out should get the .NET framework from Micosoft's website. If you're running a virus scanner on outgoing mail you probably would want to disable it while you are sending.

Great work Rickard! Thanks!

Yeah, the tab order is pretty random. I didn't spend the two minutes required to fix it smile

50 (edited by Tobi 2005-11-06 17:12)

I don't know your recipien lists.
If they are random you should definitely consider sorting the addresses by domains.
This will make things a lot easier for your mailer as it has to open only one connection for X mails.
Otherwise the mailer has to open a new connection for every mail -> slow.
If you do that, however, you will have to give the prog a break every X mails so they're not considered spam.

I did it that way for a client, they have a mailing list with 350.000 recipients and it works like a charm.
(Well, of course it takes some hours... smile )

Edit: I know no .net , not too interested in proprietary scripting so I would not know how to do that sorting... smile

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de