1 (edited by Arne 2003-08-26 17:20)

Topic: Recent Discussions on Frontpages

Okay, I'm not a coder at all but I took the time to create some code for "recent discussions" on front pages:

I used it in a seperate file like _recentdiscussions.php which I included then into the CMS:

<? 

$MYSQL_HOST = 'localhost';
  $MYSQL_USER = '';
  $MYSQL_PASSWORD = '';
  $MYSQL_DATABASE = '';

$mySQLconerror = "<h1>mySQL server died unexpectly</h1><h3>There was an internal error processing your request!</h3>Click <a href='javascript:location.href=location.href'>refresh</a> to resubmit the information.<br>If the error persists contact your system administrator or the support team.</h3>";
  $mySQLdberror  = "<h1>mySQL server internal error</h1><h3>Could not select the database! The database might be deleted or in error code.</h3>Click <a href='javascript:location.href=location.href'>refresh</a> to resubmit the information.<br>If the error persists contact your system administrator or the support team.</h3>";

function ExecuteSQL($query,$db_conn) {
    $result = mysql_query($query,$db_conn);
    if (mysql_errno() != "0") { 
      echo "<div class='error'><br>mySQL ERROR # ".mysql_errno()." <br> ".mysql_error()."<br><br><br><button hidefocus onClick='history.back(-1)' class='menu1'>Back</button><br><br></div>\n";
      die();
    }
    else {
      return $result;
    }
  }

$numberOfPosts   = 5;
  $numberOfCharacters = 85;

$connection = @mysql_connect("$MYSQL_HOST", "$MYSQL_USER", "$MYSQL_PASSWORD") or die("$mySQLconerror");
  $db = @mysql_select_db("$MYSQL_DATABASE", $connection) or die("$mySQLdberror");
  $sql = "SELECT id,poster,message,posted,topic_id FROM posts ORDER by posted DESC LIMIT 0,".$numberOfPosts; 
  $result = ExecuteSQL($sql,$connection);

$connection1 = @mysql_connect("$MYSQL_HOST", "$MYSQL_USER", "$MYSQL_PASSWORD") or die("$mySQLconerror");
  $db1 = @mysql_select_db("$MYSQL_DATABASE", $connection1) or die("$mySQLdberror");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$sql = "SELECT subject  FROM topics WHERE id='".$row['topic_id']."'"; 
    $res = ExecuteSQL($sql,$connection);
    $tmp = mysql_fetch_array($res);
    $topic  = $tmp["subject"];
    $thread  = $row["id"]; 
    $myname  = $row["poster"]; 
    $ctext  = $row["message"]; 
    $ctext = ereg_replace("^(.{1,$numberOfCharacters})[ .,].*", "\\1", $ctext);

$myname  = str_replace("<","",$myname);
    $myname  = str_replace(">","",$myname);
    $ctext  = strip_tags($ctext);

$topic=substr($topic,0,25)."...";

/*
    $sql1 = "SELECT threadid,forumid FROM itaf_thread where threadid='{$thread}' limit 0,1"; 
    $result1 = ExecuteSQL($sql1,$connection1);
    while ($row1 = mysql_fetch_array($result1)) {
      $forum = $row1["forumid"];
    }
*/
    $output = "<a href=\"/forum/viewtopic.php?pid={$thread}#{$thread}\"><b>{$topic}</b></a><br><b>{$myname} says:</b> <i>{$ctext}...</i>";
    $output = str_replace("\n","",$output);
    $output = str_replace("\r","",$output);

print $output."<p>";
  }

?>

The result can be seen here http://www.ppcw.net/
Oh yes, again - I have more or less no coding skills so the code above might be completely crap - feel free to improve and modify it... ;-)

Cheers ~ Arne

Re: Recent Discussions on Frontpages

Looks good. One thing though, you don't have to connect and select DB twice. I think you can safely remove the two rows after the first ExecuteSQL(). Or did I miss something?

I'm actually planning on doing something similar for PunBB 1.1 :)

Edit: BTW, that's a nice website and forum you've got there. Nice to see you've modified the look a little :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Kennel wrote:

Looks good. One thing though, you don't have to connect and select DB twice. I think you can safely remove the two rows after the first ExecuteSQL(). Or did I miss something?

Hmmm... No, seems you are right. Why the hell I've added it!? ;-)
Well, if a non-coder starts coding... Maybe it's because I'm German and I want to make sure it really connects!? ;-) LOL...

I'm actually planning on doing something similar for PunBB 1.1 smile

That's great. I see my code as a kind of temp solution anyway...

Edit: BTW, that's a nice website and forum you've got there. Nice to see you've modified the look a little smile

Thanks but the Forum integration is still far away from what I'm planing and working on right now. Currently I'm moving to a new server and there I'm working on a much smother integration. What you see on the "old" (current) site is just a bloody fast workaround I made because I removed my old Forum and wanted to make sure to have a Forum online anyway.

Cheers ~ Arne

Arne wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm German and I want to make sure it really connects!? ;-) LOL...

Haha, yeah! :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

5 (edited by Frank H 2003-08-26 20:03)

nice site, and a nice script.

This thing was abit comic though (default timestamp if no cookie is found or somehting?)

"Welcome back! You last visited on 01 Jan 1970 @ 01:00."
I was born over 9 years later big_smile

Hehehe... Yes, it's an ugly bug of that script... Will be changed with "PPCW.Net 2003" anyway... wink
Even me was born one year and 47 days later... smile

Cheers ~ Arne

where do I ad this in main page index of the dite (not forum)

That is 2 year old code
And this is a 2 year old thread
You can't just add it in, it most likely won't work

ok so where's the new one big_smile

Maybe there isn't new code, but why can't you find it yourself if there is?

I did serch for it no results

I'd suggest taking a look at extern.php