Topic: CSS Streching

I'm making an engine that allows users to create custom styles for their pages. I have it set up so #brdmenu has a background image. I also insert a span with a width of 1 and an image inside that span to stretch #brdmenu to the proper height.

This works perfectly, but the background image doesn't stretch all the way to the bottom. It works fine in IE and Safari, but is messed up in Firefox. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem? This behavior also occurs with h2s.

~Creaturecorp

I don't HAVE a signature, ok?

Re: CSS Streching

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question. If you want to set a background image on an element then you just make sure its big enough to fit. You can't make something stretch to fit a background image. I don't understand what the span is for and when you say a width of 1 is that 1px, 1em 1mile what?

http://creaturecorp.mezzyart.com/

Forgot to post the link.

The span just stretches the given div or h2 so that the height is the same as the background. This would be useful since there is no way to get the height of a remote background image.

There seems to be a problem with it in Firefox... any advice?

4 (edited by Rod 2005-10-09 13:57)

Waouh : you have copy/paste Deviantart : what a pity, because DeviantArt is not a reference for navigation smile

5 (edited by creaturecorp 2005-10-10 15:50)

No, I designed the layout myself with punbb. Maybe you should look closer before making accusations.

Mezzyart will be better than deviantart tongue

anyone?

up

8 (edited by Radiant 2005-10-12 23:29)

I had a look I'm not promising anything but I do have a question.
What does this do and where is it specified?
<div class="clearer"></div>

(Also the code itself is messy if you validate it and try to clean up the errors a lot of errors will go away but I don;t know if that is the case here.)

Radiant: http://www.quirksmode.org/css/clearing.html

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Did you notice that too rickard? When you go to that page, the background image of the bars doesn't stretch. In Firefox's dom inspector it shows the H2 not being expanded to the right height to accomodate the span, as it should.

Firefox does not do this, like Netscape and Opera. Safari and IE do this fine.

The only reason I'm doing it this way is because the images are remote and must stretch the H2s themselves. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I think I've fixed it...