Topic: Netscape is bad news

Hey, I don't know about you guys but I tried viewing my site and then my forums with Netscape and it was bad news. My forums didn't even load for some reason, so I thought I'd come here to see if it was just me. Well, punbb.org did load, but it was so jumbled and disorganized that I was forced to quit. My conclusion was Netscape is of very low quality. sad

2 (edited by ps21 2003-09-12 21:17)

Re: Netscape is bad news

Hewitt wrote:

Hey, I don't know about you guys but I tried viewing my site and then my forums with Netscape and it was bad news. My forums didn't even load for some reason, so I thought I'd come here to see if it was just me. Well, punbb.org did load, but it was so jumbled and disorganized that I was forced to quit. My conclusion was Netscape is of very low quality. sad

Which version of Netscape. I have tested it with NS7 and Mozilla 1.4 and its fine. It certainly will fall apart spectacularly in NS4 and IE4 because they can't handle the CSS properly.

Slightly off topic, but I have tested PunBB in the following

IE6 - Perfect
Firebird - Perfect
Mozilla 1.4 - Perfect
NS7.1 - Perfect
NS4 - Ugly Splat
IE4 - Ugly Splat (Not tested but assumed)

Anybody tried PunBB in IE5/5.5 or IE for Mac. I would be curious to know the results.

EDIT

Just tried your site, whole site not just the forum, with NS7 and Mozilla 1.4. Worked perfectly.

Hmmm...my Netscape is old so that may be the culprit. However, I still prefer Opera over the competition. smile

ps21: IE5.* is no problem. I've also tried the most popular browsers for MacOS X (Safari, IE and Mozilla) and although it looks a bit different (specifically when it comes to fonts), there are no "issues" worth noting.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hewitt wrote:

Hmmm...my Netscape is old so that may be the culprit. However, I still prefer Opera over the competition. smile

Old Netscape is always a problem. I was wondering who the 0.08% of surfers still using NS4 were. Now I know.

Kennel wrote:

ps21: IE5.* is no problem. I've also tried the most popular browsers for MacOS X (Safari, IE and Mozilla) and although it looks a bit different (specifically when it comes to fonts), there are no "issues" worth noting.

Thats good to know. I am of the school of thought that thinks people using version 4 browsers should be given a quick redirect and instructions on how to upgrade. Trying to make anything compatible with all versions of browsers just increases the size of html and seriously limits the effectiveness of CSS. Interestingly I noticed that the latest incarnation of Invision Board which is standards compliant (unlike version 1.1) has problems with old browsers.

netscape is hell on wheels....

ps21 wrote:

Hewitt wrote:

Old Netscape is always a problem. I was wondering who the 0.08% of surfers still using NS4 were. Now I know.

Hey, don't hate because I'm out of date. wink

I just use Netscape on rare occasions to see what something looks like from an alternate viewpoint, my IE and Opera are very up to date!