Topic: Edit time limit

Can we have an option where users can edit their own posts, but within a certain period of time only?  For example you can edit your posts, but only if it's been less than 1 hour.  I just want to prevent people from posting, and then changing their opinion 2 weeks later and going back and wiping out their own post.

Re: Edit time limit

That's a group option in 1.2 I think smile

Actually, there's a group option for editing the subject, not the post.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by Ataxy 2005-04-19 12:48)

Rickard wrote:

Actually, there's a group option for editing the subject, not the post.

then what is this in the admin panel user group option:
Edit posts - Allow users in this group to edit their own posts.

A time limit for editing would be a nice feature indeed. People are requesting it at my forums too.

Ataxy: Yes, but that's an on/off switch. You can't set a time limit.

Sander D: I will consider it smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Ataxy: Yes, but that's an on/off switch. You can't set a time limit.

oh yeah thats true

I think, you cld remove the edit/delete links on the post by adding a chek on 'posted' with current time.

viewtopic.php

line 268 ....

Removing the URLs isn't the same as removing the feature, people could still edit

I agree, it is not foolproof, but it is easy until someone creates a foolproof mode

Rickard wrote:

Have you already considered it? I think there are no good reasons for editing posts from days ago, and it can only cause confusion in discussions.

12 (edited by Frank H 2005-11-23 20:20)

Sander D. wrote:

I think there are no good reasons for editing posts from days ago

For people keeping FAQ things etc. And if you look at the first post in the Attachment mod thread, you'll notice I edited it not so long ago, even though it was posted ages ago ...

So there are 'good' usage for editing posts ... but sure ... if you don't look at the "Last edited..." message, then I assume you could get confused wink

I also vote for an option to give a custom group the ability to edit their post for a short limited time (like 5 min).

Thanks wink

Agreed. Maybe there could be an option to have one group being able to edit their post always (for FAQs), or only the first posts in topics. But at my forums, with quite serious discussions sometimes, the idea that people are able to change their old posts and manipulate the discussion is scary.

I use this topic for a similar and (for me) better idea.

Instead of time limit I need answer limit: users can edit or delete theirs post until no one has answered, after this point every action on post will be denied.
I have a little forum but sometimes there are polemics, if after a reply first poster edits his post, all the discussion go out the window. To the contrary last post of each topic can be freely edited whitout damage.
I see this option on a phpbb forum where i'm a moderator, you can see mod release topic here.

I hope you can understand my request even if my english is only at school level (I'm italian).

I'm still wondering what Rickard thinks of putting an (optional) time limit on editing posts. If you don't want to implement it, will it be possible to make  with a plugin in 1.3? (Will there be a 'hook' in edit.php?)

if not added to 1.3, is there a mod to allow limiting of posts to a certain time only out since the last post? it would only require checking with the time posted in the posts table and based on that allowing or disallowing the user to edit depending on the time difference between now and posted. would be nice to have it integrated to the admin section to specify this time limit - i can only be bothered to hardcode it into edit.php myself as i am pressed for time lately.

Hi All
guardian34 made that for you! Have a look on Edit Grace Period 1.0
Regards.

thanks falconflyz - but that is quite different. that mod is for hiding the "Last edited by?" message if edited within a specific timeframe by the user. what is meant here is a timelimit for allowing editing of a post by a regular user. at the moment a user can edit his/her posts indefinitely i believe.

Add a limit to the permission check?

// Do we have permission to edit this post?
if (($pun_user['g_edit_posts'] == '0' ||
    $cur_post['poster_id'] != $pun_user['id'] ||
    $cur_post['closed'] == '1') &&
    !$is_admmod)
    message($lang_common['No permission']);
// Do we have permission to edit this post?
// mod: edit time limit
if (($pun_user['g_edit_posts'] == '0' ||
    $cur_post['poster_id'] != $pun_user['id'] ||
    $cur_post['closed'] == '1' ||
    time() > ($cur_post['posted'] + 86400)) &&
    !$is_admmod)
    message($lang_common['No permission']);

`86400` (one day) is the time limit in seconds.

thanks guardian34 - though implementing it in the admin console (and field in DB for this setting) as a mod would be best so it can be changed easily. naturally, official support for this would be even better.

What would be the point?

that can be asked of many things. the point of it is that it is a common feature in almost all discussion forum software, there is a demand for it, it is also very easy to implement, and it also takes little extra computation time.

Ok,

But personally, I'd rather not have this done hmm

I have a tutorial over at PSP-Hacks (Was voted the best tutorial on the site) and I'm always updating the thread. The thread has been going since January 2006 yikes

I cant get this working