Topic: Firefox test please

Could somebody test the following page in Firefox 1.5 and older versions of Firefox together with any other browsers they have. I think it may be a nasty bug in the latest release of Firefox.

http://www.post21.co.uk/files/Firefox_test.html

The reason I am posting this in this forum is it is related to 1.3 dev markup.

Re: Firefox test please

Firefox 1.5: Yes, the clearing doesn't work in the first example.

Also I get a space between the yellow and blue field in example 2 under IE, which are not there in FF 1.5.

The fieldset has a padding or something too under FF which are not seen in IE.

Jansson wrote:

Firefox 1.5: Yes, the clearing doesn't work in the first example.

Also I get a space between the yellow and blue field in example 2 under IE, which are not there in FF 1.5.

The fieldset has a padding or something too under FF which are not seen in IE.

Check also in Opera 8.5. There is also the space between the yellow and blue field in example 2 as in IE but the padding in fieldset is smaller than in IE whileas in FF there is no padding at all.

Thanks guys. I'm not bothered about the spacing, thats just because I didn't bother with all the necessary styling. Its the failure to clear the float which is the problem. Now I know its not just me it looks like a definite bug. I now have some rewriting to do since it appears v.1.6a has the same bug which means it isn't going to get fixed anytime soon.

I just new Firefox 1.5 was going to cause me some grief, this isn't the only bug it has.

Everything has bugs. Have you reported them?

Not yet but I will. Firefox has always handled fieldsets and form elements badly. The solution, which is what I did for 1.2 is to put a div inside each fieldset and give the div a bit of padding. Either that or float the clearing element and give it a 100% width but that introduces more complications. With 1.3 bugs like this are potentially more serious because the admin console is completely tableless. I think stability is the order of the day even if it means extra markup.