Topic: Making a leap.....

Hi guys

i'm a long time user of IPB since 1.2 and i've loved it.. however their decission to NOT offer free versions anymore really pissed me off as it has affected me GREATLY.. i've done lots of my own scripts that interface with the IPB system so i can use it for my own individual puposes.. now it's all gone down to crap..

anyway im looking at free alternatives now... no point in investing more effort into ipb.. PHPBB was my second choice but, it's riddled with security issues.. and it's really not all that great..

then i found this software.. VERY LITe, SIMPLE, and FAST.. as of now (my first day of using it) it seems to have all the essential featuers i could demand for..

But i've never heard of PunBB before this morning... so im really a ZERO-INFO noob on this software, besides it looking great so far..

i was wondering if you guys could throw some advises in here as to the things i may have problems with on PunBB, "considering me coming from IPB"..

I already noticed that it doesnt have AUTOMATIC SUBSCRIPTION on threads i POST, or reply too. i have to manually click Subscribe to this topic..

anyway i really have to make a decision on what forum to use within the next 12 hours (at most) as i have a deadline to meet.. would really help me if ya'll can give me the IMPORTANT PROS and CONS of this software.. specially it's security.. i've got one guy telling me that reason for PunBB being safe is coz it's not that popular yet and people arent doing mischievous things to it just yet..

anyway i dont know.. just looking for quick info to help me decide.

also.. if ever i decide to TEMPORARILY stick with a nulled IPB, how easy would it be for me to port my data into PunBB?

thanks all in advance.

BC

PunBB is cool
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/clever_j/firefox-eatsIE.gif[/img]

Re: Making a leap.....

brownchild wrote:

I already noticed that it doesnt have AUTOMATIC SUBSCRIPTION on threads i POST, or reply too. i have to manually click Subscribe to this topic..

That's a good thing. If your forum is busy you don't need emails being sent every few minutes.

brownchild wrote:

specially it's security.. i've got one guy telling me that reason for PunBB being safe is coz it's not that popular yet and people arent doing mischievous things to it just yet..

If and when a flaw is found Rickard has a fix out very quickly. phpBB has remained the same for a few years now, so i think that's why there are so many security issues.

brownchild wrote:

also.. if ever i decide to TEMPORARILY stick with a nulled IPB, how easy would it be for me to port my data into PunBB?

There is a converter on the downloads page, so that's no problem.

Hi elzar thanks for your inputs..

There is a converter on the downloads page, so that's no problem.

fa-reals?! whew.. damn that's good news. ima stick with nulled version of IPB for now as i scope out this awesome PunBB.. smile think that's the safest way for me right now..

thanks!

BC

PS
more inputs are welcome guys.. smile

PunBB is cool

One big pro is punbb has a very helpful community and an active development team, meaning if you have problems or need help with any modification, you can almost always get what you need here.

i see.. that's very nice. smile i had a post on IPB forums which went un answered for over 2 years  sheesh..

anyway im really really sold to punBB as i can see it's not much different (in structure) to the more common software IPB.. as with the features, it doesnt have much yet but most of the essential things are here..

my only reason for holding back really is security. im not sure yet how secure PunBB is..

i took the IPB route temporarily, but will not hesitate to swtich to punBB soon as i get familiar with it..

by the way, i can't seem to find that convertion tool for converting IPB2 board to PunBB.. where is it?

PunBB is cool

PunBB Migration Tool

The PunBB Migration Tool is a utility for migrating to PunBB from a series of other forum software. It works by converting the database from the source forum into a PunBB database. The migration tool has been developed by David Djurbäck (a.k.a. Chacmool). In it's current version, the tool supports conversion from the following forum/CMS software:

* Invision Power Board 1.3
    * Invision Power Board 2.0
    * MiniBB 1.7d
    * phpBB 2.0
    * PHPNuke 7.4
    * vBulletin 3.0.0
    * YabbSE 1.5.5
    * SMF 1.0.5
    * SimpleBoard 1.7d
    * PHP-Fusion

*  PunBB Migration Tool 1.4.0 - Updated 2005-09-30.

As far as security goes, PunBB 1.2.10 has no known exploits for it, and if any appear im sure they will be patched and a new version + change log released within a couple days.

ahh gracias amigo! smile

As far as security goes, PunBB 1.2.10 has no known exploits for it, and if any appear im sure they will be patched and a new version + change log released within a couple days.

perhaps no known exploits yet coz it's not that popular just yet.. but patching right away works for me as you can never be sure your stuff is really secure until one finds a hole..

sweet deal...

PunBB is cool

i just downloaded the forum for testing and stuff.. JUST UNDER 2MB TOTAL!?!!! WOW... IPB is around 10MB... WTF?! lol

PunBB is cool