Topic: Google Talk

In Profile > Messaging, would be cool to have a Google Talk entry, unless you prefer to wait for a merge with Jabber.

Re: Google Talk

Hmm, while I do prefer Google Talk to most other IM services, this is getting out of hand smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

One idea would be to implement it in a dynamic way.
eg. a dynamic combobox for the IM service (listing ICQ, MSN, Jabber, ...). There is no need for it to be editable, it would just be easier for you to update it, and the profile would feel easier to complete for the common user.
And a textbox, like now, for the unique identifier.
Only one service could be used for an account, but I think that's ok as sooner or later there will be a need for interoperability (Gtalk started it wink )

That's what they do at Blogger:
http://www.glop.org/junk/im-selection.png

What do you think ?

I don't think googletalk fields should be added untill the service is at least out of beta, and it is in a state where enough people are actually using it, otherwise there would be arguments for every obscure IM client there is.

google talk IS jabber, so why not just use the jabber field?

6 (edited by analogue 2005-09-07 15:16)

saralk wrote:

I don't think googletalk fields should be added untill the service is at least out of beta, and it is in a state where enough people are actually using it, otherwise there would be arguments for every obscure IM client there is.

Oh, don't worry, it is widely used, a whole bunch of my contacts already switched, like me, and when I say switch, I say exclusively switch.
But I agree, it's hard to tell which might have the right to be included, hence my second proposition.

Connorhd wrote:

No it's not, yet. Add a GTalk ID in a jabber client (on a jabber server) and you won't be able to talk to him.
Add a Jabber ID (on a jabber server) in GTalk, and you won't be able to talk to him.

Using the Jabber ID as a field for GTalk will only make jabber more confused in people's mind, and it's already one of the most confused IM protocol (not for geeks, but for common users).

7 (edited by analogue 2006-01-04 23:04)

With the coming of group chat and video in GTalk, I'd like to know if the way IMs are handled in PunBB is going to change like this cool
http://www.glop.org/junk/im-selection.png

analogue wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

No it's not, yet. Add a GTalk ID in a jabber client (on a jabber server) and you won't be able to talk to him.
Add a Jabber ID (on a jabber server) in GTalk, and you won't be able to talk to him.

Using the Jabber ID as a field for GTalk will only make jabber more confused in people's mind, and it's already one of the most confused IM protocol (not for geeks, but for common users).

Wrong. Jabber requires a server GTalk is simply 1 jabber server, (with a little extra for their voice support), unless i am very much mistaken.

9 (edited by analogue 2006-01-05 11:50)

Connorhd wrote:
analogue wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

Wrong. Jabber requires a server GTalk is simply 1 jabber server, (with a little extra for their voice support), unless i am very much mistaken.

I'm not wrong, do it yourself, try to talk to yourself between any jabber client and GTalk...
For now GTalk run on an incompatible network based on Jabber, and we don't know what will happen next, but as of now, they can't talk to each other.

http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html - then why can you use the jabber part of all these clients to talk on google talk?

Because GTalk is a server based on the Jabber protocols
http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/ … swer=23907
It uses the same protocols, but it isn't connected to the public Jabber networks

It could easily replace the ICQ field, i haven't ran into anyone that uses ICQ for months.

13 (edited by Smartys 2006-01-14 03:49)

I do wink
You could merge AIM/ICQ though, since they both use the same network

Hi everybody,

I'm french and I'm moderator on multy's forums and is there a french mod which can help you to add Google Talk to the profile :

http://multy.freezee.org/viewtopic.php?id=303

I've just test it on my computer and it's work... just replace "Skype" by "gtalk"

Enjoy wink

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french ;)

NOW Jabber and GTalk are compatible, the merge has been done this morning wink

analogue wrote:

You could always use a jabber client to message with GTalk users, though. I ran it on my *nix box using Gaim on launch day.

17 (edited by analogue 2006-01-17 19:45)

Bassguy wrote:
analogue wrote:

You could always use a jabber client to message with GTalk users, though. I ran it on my *nix box using Gaim on launch day.

... Geee, the Google XMPP network wasn't plugged to the Jabber XMPP network now it is. What you did was to use a XMPP client on the Google XMPP network, but you couldn't talk from a Google XMPP account to a Jabber XMPP account.