Topic: Turn off Signatures

Under Administration > Options > Features it would be nice to have another Yes/No radio selector for signatures. I'm not a fan of them and would rather the whole thing was just turned off. The option would turn off the entry box in the user's profile as well, otherwise they would complain about where it was if they could enter text but it wasn't showing up.

Re: Turn off Signatures

Yeah, maybe that's a good idea. I'll put it on the list for review.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I agree, this would be very nice.

I can verify that if you can turn off signatures being added to posts, but not the signature entry field, users will complain. This was a major annoyance to me with phpBB, where the signature on/off feature still allows people to enter signature.

Maybe it could also come with a plugin or something to clean out all signatures from the db, for people that want to apply this to an already running forum, like me.

4 (edited by bkhl 2005-11-18 02:20)

I have now turned off signatures off on my forum simply by commenting out that section of profile.php?section=personality.

section=personality now seems to have a quite misleading name, since it's just for setting the avatar.

As the meaning of section=personal and section=personality is pretty muddled as it is, and especially if you're going to be able to turn off the signature feature, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to compone those two panels into one.

(I solved this temporarily on my forum by simply renaming section=personality to "Avatar".)

I would also agree that there should be an option to turn off signatures.

It would be great with a option to disable signatures!

Also, to risk stating the obvious, if signatures and avatars are disabled, then the "personality" section probably shouldn't appear in the menu.

Being able to turn off your signature for a specific post would be very helpful for our forum.  There are times/individuals that would aprreciate not having a signature posted.  So, if this feature could be a choice that you make before submitting the post.

guardian34 wrote:

Also, to risk stating the obvious, if signatures and avatars are disabled, then the "personality" section probably shouldn't appear in the menu.

This option can be used with this very interesting mod Seperate Sig and Avatar 1.0.1

About the comments on sections, this kind of feature would not be added to the 1.2 branch, but will be included in 1.3 (if at all), and in that case, "signature" has it's own section/tab in profile.php.

i saw it in the options for 1.3 so I'm hoping you guys really help to implement this, most of the time signatures are just the same image over and over, or some little quote they found

There are no plans to backport the feature to 1.2 smile

im sure its pretty easy to make a modification for this
maybe i'll take a look at it tomorrow