Topic: user register dates all wrong

I'm not sure if the timezone setting has anything to do with it, but last night I was fiddling with it, and now the dates of when users registered are all screwed up.

Here, take a look at the screenshot.  Note the Administrator column, Registered Jan 10?  How could that be.  Look at the users below the Admin.  How is it possible for members to register BEFORE the admin??

I know this is a bug, I just don't know what caused it.

http://lightened-guild.com/files/timezone_err.jpg

Re: user register dates all wrong

Have you reset the timezone settings to what they were before, then?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yes, i did. it didn't help at all.

So, when people register now, they still appear as if they've registered in "the future"?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

So, when people register now, they still appear as if they've registered in "the future"?

yes.

Is the time on your server actually set correctly?

7 (edited by ranchnachos 2006-02-05 20:53)

Actually, i have no idea.  I assume it is correct because I'm also running a phpBB forum(on the same server) with a tons of members for a WoW Guild and do _NOT_ have any problems at all with register dates.

Just for reference as well.. this is not locally hosted. It's hosted on http://bluehost.com -- I did email them after recently having this problem and their in Mountain Standard Time(-7). 

I have noticed though that when users register they seem to not change their own time zone setting (most of the users are EST(-5), could that be the problem?

And lastly, while registering test users to see if i could reproduce the errors.. I think I may have found a bug.
While either logged out, or logged in as a regular user (not admin), my register dates display correctly. 
But if I log in as Admin it gets screwy.

Example.  I created a test board yesterday, so obviously the register date for my admin account would state "yesterday".. but if I'm logged in as Admin it says I registered "Today".
When I log out and go to view the user list page, it says I registered on the correct date ("Yesterday")

And more further testing reveals.. that even while logged in on the test user i just created.. changing the Time Zone setting from -7 MST, to -5 EST makes the admin user screwy again.  Instead of it displaying correctly while logged in non-admin, it now displays the admin registed "today", which is obviously not true.  Because I registered that account last night.. which is technically "yesterday".

Hope this helps at all.  And I hope you can fix the error.
Just for good measure though, how can I go about seeing if my server time is set correct?

ranchnachos wrote:

Actually, i have no idea.  I assume it is correct because I'm also running a phpBB forum(on the same server) with a tons of members for a WoW Guild and do _NOT_ have any problems at all with register dates.

Just for reference as well.. this is not locally hosted. It's hosted on http://bluehost.com -- I did email them after recently having this problem and their in Mountain Standard Time(-7). 

Just for good measure though, how can I go about seeing if my server time is set correct?

Admin Options/Options/Server Timezone for the punBB setting
Admin Options/Index -- my info -- top block -system ( php_info() )

HTH
Mark

Alright.. I have conflicting information here.  I have since emailed my server host again, and they have responded that the servers are in Utah, which is Mountain Standard Time (-7), but when I check my PHPinfo from within the forum software, this is what I get.

Linux box22.bluehost.com 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jan 17 06:12:06 CST 2006 x86_64

Central Time!?
I'm really confused.

From my understanding this has to be a software glitch, as I have phpBB installed as well and absolutely no problems at all with Timezone settings.

I can assure you, there information you're getting from phpinfo, have absolutely nothing to do with PunBB. If you don't belive it, upload a new file to the server, with the following info:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

ranchnachos: Try setting the server timezone to 0.

ranchnachos wrote:

Linux box22.bluehost.com 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jan 17 06:12:06 CST 2006 x86_64

My apologies. I gave you bum info with the phpinfo section. I looked quickly and was incorrect, too much football (and the rest) I guess.

Mark

Rickard wrote:

ranchnachos: Try setting the server timezone to 0.

That seems to have fixed the issue.  Thanks.

But there is still the issue of why the register dates change when I change the server timezone information.
From my knowledge, the timezone setting just changes the internal time/date settings for user posts that may happen to be in different time zones... so They see the correct times and stuff.

I just don't understand how that can affect the displaying information incorrectly.

Also.. since I now have my installation set to "0 GMT",  I do believe that perhaps the caption for this particular setting needs to be modified as to not confused users.

The timezone of the server where PunBB is installed.

To me this means I find where the servers are located, in my case.. Utah (-7 MST), and set accordingly.
Then users change their timezone according to where they are located.

To me this means I find where the servers are located, in my case.. Utah (-7 MST), and set accordingly.

I think this has been suggested to Rickard in the past, but PHP can determine the timezone offset for the forums: couldn't this be included at install to auto-set the timezone?

Smartys wrote:

I think this has been suggested to Rickard in the past, but PHP can determine the timezone offset for the forums: couldn't this be included at install to auto-set the timezone?

I already did this for my admin_options.php. Would be easy to put in the install script smile