1 (edited by Frank H 2003-09-26 16:02)

Topic: The 'forum nav bar' shows the category instead of Board title

Well I've got a couple of Categories, among them those that hold posts not visible by registered users ... but restricted to moderators & admins ...

And if the little line where you have the position you are at would show the category instead of the board title, I think it would be easier to really know where you post (as it's quite possible to have two forums with the same name, but located in two different categories, like "General" is a good example ... )

So I'd rather see

Category / Forum name / Thread

instead of

Board title / Forum name / Thread

It's easy to do a mod on it I guess ... but I have never figured out the purpose for it to show what's already at the top of the page smile

Re: The 'forum nav bar' shows the category instead of Board title

Actually, I frequently use the board title link to go back to the index. It's also kind of a standard in bulletin boards, so I'm guessing a lot of people would react if PunBB suddenly strayed from "the standard".

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I use it to go back to the index page as well. In fact I would change it so it says "Board Index". I would rather change it so it included Category Name as well as the board index

Index Page - Category Name - Forum Name - Thread

But then it would be very "long". I'm not convinced yet :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hmm, I just thought of something. There is no way of viewing a category in PunBB. There is only index.php and viewforum.php, not viewcategory.php.

yep, and it's impossible to see in what catergory your thread youre replying on is ... so I'm hesitating a while before writing stuff that's sensitive, sometimes keeping my mouth shut (ok that might be good big_smile ... but... still, there's big problems knowing exactly where the thread is) ... as I cannot see the category name (where I have things like Admin ... Private ... etc  (won't include it in the forum names, as I tried that and it looked awful)

I'll probably change my files to fix this... and I seem to be quite alone with this problem ...

(btw ... what's the use of the Home in the link bar if you've got the exact same link 4 lines down? big_smile)

Well, the Home-link is always there. The board index link is visible in viewforum and viewtopic, but not in other scripts.

yeah... that's true ...

anyhow ... I'll fix so that I see the category name in the location text ... as I more or less need that, as I cannot see under what category I'm posting my posts smile

The other alternative would be to have the category header bar visible under the blue bar on all pages not just the index page.