1 (edited by ps21 2003-09-08 22:40)

Topic: Skinning Guide Finished - I think!

Hi, finally managed to produce what I think is the finished Skinning Guide.

I am sure I have missed quite a few things so if some of you could have a look at it and let me know whats missing I'd be grateful.

I should make it clear that this guide is simply intented to make it easy for people to identify which styles control which part of the board, its not a CSS howto or instructions for doing really fancy things to your board like adding graphic rollovers.

I am thinking of adding a hints and tips section to the end so if anybody has anything they would like to share let me know.

If anybody has a desperate need to know something that is not covered let me know and I may add it (as long as it doesn't involve me having to learn php).

P.S. Request for a mod - a smell checker plesae.

EDIT
Stupid me, forgot the link
http://www.post21.co.uk/files/PunBBSG101.zip

Re: Skinning Guide Finished - I think!

Nice work man. Looked good to me so far, have to put it to the test. wink

very good~!

Note to self: Add this cool thing to the download page.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Done.

ps21: I uploaded your guide to the punbb.org server. The download link can be found on the download page. I also took the liberty of renaming the file a little. I hope you don't mind :)

Once again, great work!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Kennel wrote:

Done.

ps21: I uploaded your guide to the punbb.org server. The download link can be found on the download page. I also took the liberty of renaming the file a little. I hope you don't mind smile

Once again, great work!

Thanks. Glad you liked it. I am sure people are going to point out mistakes or things I could have added. If I alter it in any way I will let you know. From now on I will use your filename to make things easier.

One thought I had. Would it be a good idea to bundle the source file of the newpost graphic, e.g. the .psd file, with the PunBB distribution file or the skinning guide. That way people can change the colour without having to recreate the graphic. If you could let me have the source file I can put it into Photoshop/PSPro/Fireworks format as required.

Sounds like a good idea. I can't seem to find the source psd file though. Maybe you could just create one from one of the png files?

Kennel wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. I can't seem to find the source psd file though. Maybe you could just create one from one of the png files?

OK. Will do. Maybe I will really let my hair down and make a round one smile

Hey, another big thanks ps21. smile Skinning my boards would have taken a lot longer without your guide. With that right beside me, I had it done in 15 minutes. That's what I like to see. wink

Hewitt wrote:

Hey, another big thanks ps21. smile Skinning my boards would have taken a lot longer without your guide. With that right beside me, I had it done in 15 minutes. That's what I like to see. wink

Glad to have been of help. Thats exactly what I was aiming at. My own experience of skinning various things is that the most time consuming part is working out which bit does what. I figured if I was going to have to work it out for myself I might as well share the results with everybody else.

Was there anything you thought could have been done better/different, anything missed, anything you would like to see added etc.

ps21 wrote:Was there anything you thought could have been done better/different, anything missed, anything you would like to see added etc.

Well...I would certainly welcome an even deeper guide. Maybe just some cool little tricks, or ps21's top 10 ways to make punBB look sweet. wink

Hewitt wrote:

ps21 wrote:Was there anything you thought could have been done better/different, anything missed, anything you would like to see added etc.

Well...I would certainly welcome an even deeper guide. Maybe just some cool little tricks, or ps21's top 10 ways to make punBB look sweet. wink

I'm working on it. In particular I am in the process of trawling through old posts looking for questions relating to styles and/or templates with the intention of adding a FAQ at the end of the quide. I am certainly going to put more stuff about templates, how to put a 3D border around the whole board without graphics, how to add graphic logos, how to make rollover menu buttons without graphics , how to add graphics for those who just have to make the board match the rest of their site etc. And just as I am finishing it Kennel will release v1.1 and it will be back to the styling board smile

ps21 wrote:

I'm working on it. In particular I am in the process of trawling through old posts looking for questions relating to styles and/or templates with the intention of adding a FAQ at the end of the quide. I am certainly going to put more stuff about templates, how to put a 3D border around the whole board without graphics, how to add graphic logos, how to make rollover menu buttons without graphics , how to add graphics for those who just have to make the board match the rest of their site etc. And just as I am finishing it Kennel will release v1.1 and it will be back to the styling board smile

Very cool! I'm looking forward to the next release already and the positive impact it will have on my boards. By the way, I've already recieved compliments regarding the style of my forums, big thanks to you for the help! smile

Sorry to bring up another old topic but is this guide still kickng a around?

regards

The guide was for a very old version of PunBB (I mean, this topic was created ~3.5 years ago) wink

I do really appologise for bring up this old thread.

Is there a skinning guide to punbb?
I just need a reference sheet for what affects what.

No there isn't, not to v1.2 anyway.

Damn.
ok thanks