1 (edited by Gullskruen 2006-02-21 00:36)

Topic: Praise Apache!

I've just started playing around with miscellaneous web programming at home and for that I needed a free, easy to install, web server.

At first I looked at Apache and thought "nah, too much work" and so I went for a freeware web server called Fastream NETFile FTP/Web Server.
Pretty easy to set up and all, but I couldn't for the life of me get punbb to run properly. I just couldn't log in!

After reading a bit on this forum I figured it was a cookie problem and thus I did everything suggested and more, but after a whole day of no luck I was getting pissed off. I couldn't find anything wrong with the PHP script or any cookie settings in my browser and so I figured there had to be something wrong with the web server. And it seems I was right, the crap they call a web server was at fault! (although I don't specifically know just what the problem was) sad

Finally I installed Apache HTTP Server today and waddayaknow.. everything went just smoothly..
in fact I don't know why I didn't try Apache in the first place,
it wasn't even half as much work to set up as I'd imagined it to be.. roll

2 (edited by Glyceryltrinitrat 2006-02-25 02:22)

Re: Praise Apache!

I would recommend Abyss Web Server. PunBB works like a charm once you've got a database and PHP set up... but Apache's not bad either. wink

~Glyceryltrinitrat

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." --Albert Einstein

i suggest www.wampserver.com it uses apache. its just install and go. dont really have to change any settings unless you need to.

Gizzmo wrote:

i suggest www.wampserver.com it uses apache. its just install and go. dont really have to change any settings unless you need to.

I reccomend at least installing it by hand at once tho. You become familiar with certain options and workings of the server should you ever need to do something for the server.

I like XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

The zip taught me a lot of how a proper Windows install should look like, there are a few gotchas. From this I've rolled my own and am happy running Apache 2.0.55, MySQL 5.0.18 and PHP 5.1.2.