51 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2006-02-01 15:58)

Re: 1.3 coming...

Paul wrote:

Actually, if people start to work on it immediatelly it would be a great help as it would be a knd of beta test.

would love to but:

/****************************************************************/
/* PLACEHOLDER FILE - TO BE REPLACED SHORTLY */
/****************************************************************/

big_smile
also, how do you download the files from there or do you have to go through and copy each page seperatly?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

also, how do you download the files from there or do you have to go through and copy each page seperatly?

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5818

However, to get the 1.3 development source, you shouldn't grab it from trunk, but from http://punbb.org/svn/punbb/branches/punbb-1.3-dev/

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

However, to get the 1.3 development source, you shouldn't grab it from trunk, but from http://punbb.org/svn/punbb/branches/punbb-1.3-dev/

I'm confused... is that 1.3?

Has it been here the whole time? lol

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

Photics: It's what 1.3 is at the moment.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I have one question about 1.3. Will be possible to make all change like footer, header, set moderators etc. from Administration Panel ?

Darmowe forum - Polish free forum hosting

Hi,

No need to wait for 1.3, CodeXP to the rescue: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10226

Do you need help Rickard? And can you give us the todo list (with what you have done and what you want to have)?

[img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img] /me speaks French and bad English [img]http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/icons/error.png[/img]

Oh boy would I ever like some news... any news, I'll take it. How is your cat Rickard?

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

The delay is me partly caused by pressure of work but also caused by the release of IE7 beta 2 coupled with the discovery that what works in Firefox 1.5 is broken in Firefox 1.0.x. That means now things have to be tested and possibly modified to work in three versions of IE and two versions of Firefox which is time consuming.

Ok Paul, no worries.

Good thing that all browsers follow our beloved W3C standards, otherwise that job would be such a pain in the ass...

I'm just glad I'm not the one doing that particular job... hmm

Limber wrote:

Good thing that all browsers follow our beloved W3C standards, otherwise that job would be such a pain in the ass...

Too bad some things in the w3c standard contradict other things in it ... so it's impossible for a browser to follow everything in it roll

The strange thing is that its not IE which is giving me problems. Its that tragic broken thing called the Gecko 1.7 rendering engine used by Firefox 1.0.x and Moz 1.7. The new rendering engine (Gecko 1.8) in Firefox 1.5 is superior by an order of magnitude. Any new bugs introduced by 1.5 can be easily dealt with but constantly having to compromise design to cope with Firefox 1.0.x is becomming a pain.

Well then don't. smile

Encourage people to update FF instead. That is, if the bugs are minor.

Limber wrote:

Well then don't. smile

Encourage people to update FF instead. That is, if the bugs are minor.

Thats easy for you to say, you don't have to deal with all the complaints which will come flooding in about gaps opening up and borders vanishing for no good reason.

65 (edited by Limber 2006-02-12 15:41)

True that. Well, take your time, many of us here know what a pain that kind of work is, so we won't bitch about it too much. big_smile

Edit: speling erors

I wouldn't even attempt to make things work in IE 7 beta. Nobody currently using it can legitimately expect things to work. Plus, a lot of things will be fixed by the time it's actually released. I just read something good on this... ah, here it is. http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2006/ … ing-ie7b2/

Hard work may not kill you, but why take chances?

GUI: I read that too. I agree that trying to make things work perfectly in IE7 beta is a fools errand. However, what does need doing at this stage is sandboxing IE6 stuff to stop it interferring with IE7 and then being aware of what the problem areas are so a fix for IE7 can be put in quickly when the time comes. That means testing now. IE5/6 specific css is now in a stylesheet which uses conditional comments so that wasn't too difficult but there are still some problems to tackle. The good news is I got the Firefox 1.0.x bugs sorted.

The really really good news is IE5 Mac is officially dead dead dead so at least I don't have to worry about that monstrosity.

any news ?

Darmowe forum - Polish free forum hosting

Paul wrote:

The really really good news is IE5 Mac is officially dead dead dead so at least I don't have to worry about that monstrosity.

Oh, the joy!

I would rather have a quality piece of software then a bad peice, and I am completly OK with them taking their time, just as long as they keep quality high, but in this case they are hardly working on it at all,

Main
Forums
Future

addicted68098 wrote:

I would rather have a quality piece of software then a bad peice, and I am completly OK with them taking their time, just as long as they keep quality high, but in this case they are hardly working on it at all,

How on earth would you know, can you see whats on my computer or Rickards?

Paul wrote:

...one operating system
...couple of game demos
...few web programs
...a picture of someone's cat
...some antivirus/security software

Eh, something like that! big_smile

It's obvious that this is a difficult project! Anyone with common sense can see that. Heh, just to create a single template for the main photics.com site, I had to spend a lot of time to make Firefox and IE play nice. Oh sure, I know it sucks to wait for 1.3, but these things are hard to do.

Paul, don't worry about one poster.

I'm waiting for 1.3 as I know that will eventually bring the RPG Mod and a whole lot of new stuff. It's going to be good... so I know the waiting can be tough. It's tough on everyone around.

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

addicted68098 wrote:

Not that I believe your statment's true, but people actaully do have other things in life to think about. Work for example. It's not like there's a "PunBB Donor" under your name tongue

Photics wrote:

It's tough on everyone around.

You make it sound like we are waiting on them for our food rations...

Photics wrote:
Paul wrote:

...one operating system
...couple of game demos
...few web programs
...a picture of someone's cat
...some antivirus/security software

Eh, something like that! big_smile

You'd have it wrong for my comp instantly then ^^