Topic: PunBB and Google?

Hello everyone. First off nice software, I stumbled upon it today and don't think I will ever let it go. The ease in customization is just what I needed. With that said on to the question...

Does anyone here have a PunBB board that is deeply crawled by Google? I am curious to see how this software does with Google and other search engines before I use it in a production environment. My fear is that Google will get stuck in the "Google Dance" if its fed a bunch of unique session ID's.

I did notice that when I turn cookies off it still allows me to use sessions but the session ID did not show up in the URL. This is good but I am not quite sure how it works or if it works the way I am thinking it does.

Thanks in Advance.

Dave

Re: PunBB and Google?

PunBB does not use sessions at all, so there should be no problems with Google. The reason you are still able to login although you selected "Save username and password between visits" is that PunBB sets a cookie anyway, but one that expires instantly. Your browser still maintains a session for that cookie, so as long as you don't leave the site, the session will be alive and you will stay logged in.

The drawback of not using sessions at all is that users who do not accept cookies, will not be able to login.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB and Google?

Ahhhh....Thanks for clearing that up for me.