Topic: Automatic user groups

Hi,
Is there any ay to assign new registered users to pre-defined groups automaticly based on their email addresses? For example if email ends with no.edu, then that user will be assigned to first group, if email ends with ntn.edu, then the new user will be in second group. I know that I can do this job manually and assign each user to any group, but since I expect a larg number of users which will make that manual work a nightmare, I hope someone here will help me to find a solution. Thanks in advance

Re: Automatic user groups

Yes. I need something similar, or the ability to batch-add people to a single group. I can't find any such feature or plugin.

Now there's an idea for a plugin smile

Luhmann: I started on the plugin, and I already have your feature. You can change the group of a user based on email (pattern), username (pattern) or current group (list).
Any more things I can base it on or...?

Erinther: it's harder, but I'll try to fin a solution for that too. Unless you're willing to use the batch assign function smile

Version 1.0 of the mod

Erinther's request isn't implemented (yet) smile

elbekko wrote:

Version 1.0 of the mod

its a plugin not a mod tongue

Pff, details tongue

Hmmm. I get a 403 Forbidden error on that link.

Thanks for doing this.

The more I think about it - some kind of pattern match on e-mail won't be enough for me since I use it for teaching and all my students have the same domain, even though they are in different courses. Let me describe two scenarios:

In the first, students e-mail me, and I have a form where I can batch register for the form and automatically assign them to a group for their class.

In the second, they register themselves, and then I have a list of all users not yet assigned to a group with check boxes. I can check each box and then assign all checked users to a given group.

Right now it is increadibly difficult to do this. I have to eather sign up the users one-by-one with the user admin plugin, or I have to search the list of users, click on a user, click on admin, assign a group, and then go back to the list and do it again for another user.

Thanks again for working on this. I'll test it out as soon as I can download it.

Now that my students are starting to send me e-mails I'm realizing just how annoying the current system is. There is no way to assign them to a group at the same time as I register them for the forum. I then have to go find them in the user list and click through to admin, then add them to the group...

I hope PunRes' host fixes the problem soon. If you really want to, I can host it myself tho smile

Now back on-topic:
So at registration you want to be able to say that users that can verify they're student are automatically put into the group 'students'. Guess this could be done smile

What I really need is the ability to do everything myself. I need to be able to take a list of students from each class and automatically register them and assign them to a group at the same time. I have different forums for different classes and they are all private - only students in a class can see their own forum. There currently doesn't seem to be any way to handle this easily, and it is a big pain at the start of each semester!

I think I confused things by raising the issue in this thread, as using e-mail addresses is really a mistake for what I need. For one thing, not all students use university accounts. Secondly, students in each class need to be put in different groups.

I think I've expressed myself better in this thread. Sorry about the confusion, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the beginning of the semester (which is just starting here in Taiwan.

12 (edited by elbekko 2006-03-01 14:34)

Ah, I see smile

You have groups like
1st grade
2nd grade
3rd grade

and with each semester you want to be able to easily change all users in 2nd grade to 3rd grade and so on (which is already possible in my mod) AND have the possibility to check all the users in a list and assign them to a group.
Now, the biggest problem I see with the user list option is the pagination. You'll only have access to about 30 users (don't know the exact number), where you will probably have > 100 users. Now, ofcourse, it's possible to just skip the pagination for admins and have a huge list, but that doesn't look too good to me wink

EDIT: PunRes is back up, so you can download it from there now smile

I see what you are saying, but I really am more concerned about the initial phase - I want to subscribe and add to a group at the same time. I also want to be able to batch subscribe and add to a group. I get 35 students in a class and they all need to be subscribed and added to a group.

As far as batch operations are concerned - it seems that if I can do a search, say looking for everyone within a given group, or added at a certain date, I won't have such a long list to work with.

I've downloaded your mod and I'll take a look. Thanks.

One trick that might be possible with your plugin is to assign a prefix or suffix to the username of all students in the same class. Then one can add all users with that suffix to the same group... unfortunately adding students still has to be done one at a time... and if they do it themselves they might not do it right.

15 (edited by elbekko 2006-03-03 17:35)

Hrmm, I'll see what I can do with CSV files if you want smile
*wanders off to the unlimited wisdom of the PHP manual*

EDIT: would you mind having a huge csv list with all usernames you want added, loading it, automatically assigning them to a group (select group from drop-down menu), giving them all the same password and so on?

Hey, I found this mod (clicked on something on PunRes and there it was tongue ): http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=64 Maybe it's helpful?

That mod looks interesting, but seems to be for an older version of PunBB. Also, I hate the idea of having to mod each time I upgrade. Mods are also a pain if you use langauges other than English, since this only mods the English language files...

Regarding CVS = that could be fine, but it would be better if the passwords are different. I'll be happy to test out anything you come up with.

hi,
I try to assign the users who has emails like ...@...uio.no to assign to a specific group by using  *@*uio.no in the plugin. but it does not work. Is something wrong?

Hrmm, it's based on MySQL's LIKE statement, so it might be possible that you can't use a wildcard in the middle of the name... So just do *uio.no

You certainly can use wildcards in the middle of things hmm