Topic: Modifications and PunBB Updates

I was wondering what is the easiest way to update PunBB when a new version comes out after I have modded my PunBB files with various mods, plugins, etc.?

Is there a way y'all keep track of what files you modified? I like the fact that I can add the things I want to PunBB without being restricted to bloated code with features I don't want or would not use but I can see upgrades as being a tedious task.

Curious how y'all handle this....

Re: Modifications and PunBB Updates

I usually prefer the .patch files. It makes life a lot easier, and the upgrade can usually be done if a minute or two, even if the forum is heavily modified smile

I usually just do the changes manually so I don't loose precious mod code smile.

4 (edited by beotiger 2006-03-01 17:05)

May be I have not taken it, but you can track all changes made on punBB
by Rickard on http://dev.punbb.org/timeline
Just repeat His steps and you'll alwayas be up to date! wink

As concerning mods. Yep, I thought about one thing. It would be better for mod authors not just to write readme.txt files for all steps for the mod, but (may be in another file) just tell what they realy done - added, changed etc.
For example:
What readme.txt tells:
Find line #100 and replace it like that......
I would prefer to read: in line #100 add this column to fetch from the table.
And so on...
yikes

elbekko wrote:

I usually just do the changes manually so I don't loose precious mod code smile.

I do the same. I have not so many mod in fact, but I have a lot of modifications. So I do always manual update, file by file smile

[no signature]

I look at the .dif files and make all the changes manually.

That's worked out great so far. I am, however, a little more concerned about major version changes (for example our next greatleap forward) but will cross that lagoon clinging to a pontoon when we come to it.

For now, hand code is the way to go for heavily modified boards.

well, lots of mods will probably be rewritten to the hooks system (the attachment mod is one of them), so you probably will start with a clean install and add mods again ...

Frank H wrote:

well, lots of mods will probably be rewritten to the hooks system (the attachment mod is one of them), so you probably will start with a clean install and add mods again ...

***shudder***

Man... I better keep track of all the stuff I modified....

mods will probably be much easier to install with hooks, as you won't need to make as many edits in the files ...

OK. Frank H - what do you mean by hooks?