Topic: manually verify new registrations?

Is it possible to maually verify a user before allowing registration?

I have a person who i must have banned 100 times but he keeps re-registering as a new user with different ip's/username etc

ive made the forum only to allow posts by registered users,enabled the email verication etc
but he keeps registering with new addresses ie c@yahoo.com

is there a way?

thanks in advance wink

Re: manually verify new registrations?

Temporary solution is to disallow new registrations

did that yesterday but its an ongoing problem,he
seems to be a bit of a saddo and keeps revisiting every couple of days.

A temp. way you could do it is add an extra usergroup, call it unverified or something, and set it was the default usergroup for new registrations. If you give it no permissions to post, then you can manually verify them by moving any members in that group to member as you wish.

ban the ip and user name in the user groups

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

quaker wrote:

ban the ip and user name in the user groups

pilch73 wrote:

I have a person who i must have banned 100 times but he keeps re-registering as a new user with different ip's/username etc

Does anyone know if there exists a public blacklist of known anonymous proxies, something like Spamhaus but for IP addresses?

Mastodon wrote:

Does anyone know if there exists a public blacklist of known anonymous proxies, something like Spamhaus but for IP addresses?

opm.blitzed.org
xbl.spamhaus.org

Both of those are for open proxies etc, oposed to spam.

8 (edited by pilch73 2006-03-30 18:06)

Reines wrote:

A temp. way you could do it is add an extra usergroup, call it unverified or something, and set it was the default usergroup for new registrations. If you give it no permissions to post, then you can manually verify them by moving any members in that group to member as you wish.

Thanks for that advice,ive set up as you described above which is great.

I've also  added just my email address onto the mailing list and checked the box which sends an email when someone new registers ,so i not miss any now .

One more thing(lol)

How can i remove the newest registered user information from the bottom of the pages?
because they have resorted to registering with messages in the user name ie

newest user is "Not many post today?"

saddo

thanks for the advice

forget that above i didn't check for previous requests to remove the registered user info

sorry http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7872

So my end solution for stopping distruptive influences getting on my forum was

stop guest posting (which i didnt want to do)

made new registrations have email verication (didn't bother with the image verication as well)

added myself to the mailing list  so i now receive email from new registrations,then i can personally verify each one(pain i know but it works)

and deleted the newest user info from the index,php.

i'm happy with that (hope that new members aren't put off by all the  palarva!!)

probably a way to modify the code would have been possible but,using mostly features that are already available helped!

thanks!!!