1 (edited by Limber 2006-04-20 16:50)

Topic: Cannot require_once parser

Hi everybody,

I have a problem. I've coded my own shoutbox and I want to parse smileys, bb, etc.

But when I try

require_once PUN_ROOT.'include/parser.php';

it gives me the "Fatal error: Cannot redeclare preparse_bbcode() (previously declared in /var/www/ab/include/parser.php:41) in /var/www/ab/include/parser.php on line 104"

Seems like require_once isn't doing what it's supposed to do!

So... what to do? Google found this thread
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/lofiver … 84050.html
but it did me no good.

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

Re: Cannot require_once parser

Remove it, as it seems it's already loaded, perhaps by another plugin. Although require_once shouldn't give an error =/
Try require_once(PUN_ROOT.'include/parser.php'); or include_once(PUN_ROOT.'include/parser.php');

3 (edited by Limber 2006-04-20 17:37)

Tried that, and removing it won't do me any good since I need to do

$cur_post['content'] = parse_message($cur_post['content'], 0);

Strange thing is that parse_message() isn't defined, but other functions in parser.php collide when including the file.

WTF? Hmm...

Edit: Ok so I moved some functions to a new file, uglyparser.php, like parse_message, do_smilies and whatever it was missing. Then, after adding do_clickable, I got this:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare do_clickable() (previously declared in /var/www/ab/include/uglyparser.php:109) in /var/www/ab/include/parser.php on line 352

So basically I will be able to figure this out, but it will take a while, so if anyone knows exactly why this happens, please let me know big_smile

Just try with the removing.

Oh, and it's a fatal error, so script execution is halted wink

5 (edited by Limber 2006-04-20 19:26)

Thanks elbekko, but as I explained I've tried removing, which leads me to not being able to call parse_message().

And I'm perfectly aware of what a fatal error means, I just don't get how I should include the parsing functions so that they are not declared twice.

Oh, and to clarify, I'm doing this from a miniportal (or whatever ConnorHD called it). That is of course the issue here...

www.aftonborsen.se

It's the shoutbox that needs parsin'... smile

6 (edited by Limber 2006-04-21 09:13)

So, thought I would share with you guys my solution to the problem...

I put require PUN_ROOT.'include/parser.php'; on top in header.php, thus allowing functions used in template replacements to access parsing. Then I removed the same require from viewtopic.php, delete.php and forum.php (the old index.php, remember that this is a punbb miniportal, not an original installation).

Ta-da! smile

My hosts recently upgraded to PHP 4.4.6 and apparently this version is fussy about re-declaring functions.

Do all PunBB pages call include/common.php ??

If so, I could just stick this in it..

require PUN_ROOT.'include/dblayer/common_db.php';

No?

--Alan

AlanCollier wrote:

My hosts recently upgraded to PHP 4.4.6 and apparently this version is fussy about re-declaring functions.

Do all PunBB pages call include/common.php ??

If so, I could just stick this in it..

require PUN_ROOT.'include/dblayer/common_db.php';

No?

--Alan

What problem are you having?

I'm using extern.php which includes:

require PUN_ROOT.'include/parser.php';

I call the script a couple of times on my front page and apparently PHP 4.4.6 is fussy (to the point of fatal error) when it tries to redefine existing functions. This only became a problem when my hosts upgraded!

Unless.. Is there a PHP configuration option to make it not fuss?

Is there a more elegant solution than making several copies of extern.php and commenting the call out in all but the first one to be called?

--Alan

Use a URL include?

Use a URL include?

Yeah I used to but I found that I was getting performance issues and my host suggested hard-coding the parameters in. As I understand it, using URL includes puts a lot more load on the server.

Now that I know what to comment out it's not so bad. It does seem to be a flaw with extern.php that you can only use it once in a page because of the repeated calls to parse/dblayer etc. Is there a way of detecting whether a function has already be defined and thus not call for those includes again?

Maybe a small global array in which you store details of which functions have already been defined?

--Alan

use is_callable

and if its not, then do the require...

AlanCollier: It's not a flaw because extern.php isn't meant to be used outside of URL includes. It's a page in and of itself wink

Ok fair enough!

Is there an extern equivalent that will just output a single post?
Something that does all the parsing/security/etc. but outputs just 1 post? (given the post id of course)

--Alan