Topic: Multiple forums - prefix.

How much overhead (space and cpu) does it take when you use the "prefix" option to run multiple forums?  In my situation, I could conceivably have hundreds of forums going at once (not in this year but within 5 years).

Re: Multiple forums - prefix.

I am currently running three forums on a single MySQL database.  I haven't noticed any major lag.

Through the awful grace of God

"Dude, CSS and XHTML are like two boys who are deeply in love.  They're perfect for each other, but no one can acccept it."

Having hundreds of forums in the same database is possible, but definately not recommended. It would be a nightmare to administrate.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Okay, I think I got what your saying.  Watching over all of the forums could be a time consuming pain.  The question your statement (...forums in the same database...) brings up is, is it any less of a headache if they had their own database?  Maybe I read too much into it.

Well, one (big) reason for splitting it up into different databases would be security. I'm not sure what kind of service you are going to offer, but if it's some kind of hosting that allows users to upload their own scripts (and stuff), someone could easily gain access to and manipulate all the other users tables. Also, if you are planning on giving the users access to the database through i.e. phpmyadmin, having one database per account is a must.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Okay, I'd better clarify.  My son installed PunBB on my Linux system for me.  I have very little knowledge in Linux.

I take it that using a different database isn't a big deal, e.g. a name change in the setup, so I have no problem with that.  The users will have the basic forum abilities, to post, avatars, smilies..., since this is not a techie type forum, there is no reason for them to have it.

The main idea is to have a forum for Anoka Sr. High and another for Blaine, Coon Rapids, and so on.  This way the classmates can communicate with each other without having to pay a fee and in their local area (unlike Classmates which covers the entire country.  This is why I wanted to have the ability to restrict the areas of the forum to only the graduation year (e.g. 1972) or a group of years (1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975).  The second set due to the fact that many classmates had friends two years ahead and two years behind them.  But afterwards, having it for each school may be better, since it allows a family members to communicate for another (dad/mom is deceased or computer illiterate).

The question would be, how much access is required for a moderator?  If I have one member from each class as a moderator for their group, am I having to allow access to the whole database or just a table (or two)?

Ah, now I see. I didn't realise you would be hosting all the forums yourself. In that case, the security aspect isn't that crucial. It all depends on how you want to set it up. Are you going to have it all in one big bulletin board or do you want to divide it up into one bulletin board per school? Or do you want one bulletin board/database per graduation year? If it were me, I would probably have one bulletin board/database per school and then in them have forums for the different graduation years. That way, it will be easy to grant one member moderation access to a forum.

Edit: An option is to have one database per school and in that database have one bulletin board per graduation year (with different prefixes). That way, you can have more than one forum/room per graduation year (e.g. one for misc. discussions, one for seeking contact etc.).

I want to clarify that by forum I mean one "room" in a bulletin board and not the whole bulletin board. I.e. http://punbb.org/forums/index.php is a bulletin board and http://punbb.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=25 is a forum.

The raw performance penalty from having say 20 forums in the same database should be next to nothing. It would, however, not be so nice to administrate. 20 forums times 15 tables is a lot of tables to browse through :)

Yes, one bulletin board per school and multiple forums (class years).  The database is whatever makes the best sense.

Ok, how many schools are we talking about?

Our business will cover all of Minneapolis/St. Paul and the suburbs.  The potential would be 100+ schools and 50 classes per school.  That's would be an idealistic dream to have all on our system, but anythings possible in time.  Right now I would say the goal is 8-10 schools and 10-20 classes.

Ok, in that case I would definately have one database with one bulletin board per school. Create 10 databases, install a bulletin board in each and create forums for the different graduation years.