Topic: Search Thread

One of the most terrible things that I find myself doing in an internet forum environment is manually scanning each and every page of a gargantuan thread for a tiny piece of information that I want.

I propose that the next version of PunBB should include a thread search function which searches a thread for a word or phrase.  This would be an extremely helpful feature.  I know I'd use it all the time.

Possible?  Not Possible?  Stupid?

What do you think?

Re: Search Thread

CTRL-F?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

CTRL-F?

Works for me everytime. Why duplicate whats already there.

4 (edited by nrwilk 2006-05-06 02:48)

So, <CTRL> F will search through multiple pages?

Or, do you guys just do it over and over on each page of the thread?  'Cause that's not so much better than scanning.

I'm talking about threads with up to fifty pages here.  They are pretty common on most of the forums that I visit.

nrwilk wrote:

So, <CTRL> F will search through multiple pages?

Or, do you guys just do it over and over on each page of the thread?  'Cause that's not so much better than scanning.

I'm talking about threads with up to fifty pages here.  They are pretty common on most of the forums that I visit.

Ah, I see. In my opinion, however, such large threads are too much of an anomaly to warrant an addition to PunBB (plus many huge threads turn out to be word association and other similar discussions). Perhaps someone might be willing to code this as a mod instead.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

If you choose to display Post instead of Thread in the normal search, you will most likely find what you're looking for.

Bumpity, bump: http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=25239

Mmm, sounds like a good extension to me smile

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

wink

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

wink

You need to have a Textpattern account to see it wink

11 (edited by hcgtv 2007-12-21 19:40)

Smartys wrote:

You need to have a Textpattern account to see it wink

That's for keeping the riff-raff out smile

Edit: Basically the TxP folk would like a way to to search a thread. There are threads supporting a plugin that could go on for pages and pages, finding a tidbit of info in all those pages could be daunting. phpBB3 has it working, you can play with it at area51.