Topic: questions about punBB

I'm about to move away from phpbb2 to punbb.
It is important that punBB is GPL : yes
I like the fact that punBB is CSS sharp
it got a realy clear interface.

Question:
is punBB easy to maintain. For example to get all function. in punbb you need to install some plugins... But if punBB comes with a new version do I need to reinstall all those plugins. Maybe a version of punbb with some selected mods installed. Like private PM and so on...

How large is the developer community? Will the forum be kept under development?

On phpBB there is a lot of problems with rusian spammers. Does punBB also have this problem. And is activily worked on this theme.

How secure is punBB?

Maybe this is over the hill but how doe punBB compare to other forums like Vbullitine, fudforum, phpbb, minibb, phorum etc... Why do you think this one is the best in the market.

Re: questions about punBB

Hi onno,

a) PunBB 1.3 will have something called extensions, so that mods can be easily applied between versions without having to mess with core code.

b) The developer community has grown over the last couple of years, PunRes is a testament to this growth.

c) Spammers are a problem in any project, be it a forum, blog , gallery, etc.

d) PunBB is very secure, any issues found are fixed in a few days.

e) Comparing apples to oranges is hard, each forum has it's audience. I like PunBB because of it's light nature, it renders very quickly and does not bring my server to it's knees when traffic increases.

Hope you give it a try, nothing like taking a new car for a spin wink

what is the status of punbb 1.3 ... I'm not asking what date it will be out but what is the dev cycle?

hcgtv wrote:

b) The developer community has grown over the last couple of years, PunRes is a testament to this growth.

This does not quite give an accurate picture of the development community.

Unless I am mistaken, at the moment there is only really one core developer - Rickard. Everyone else does important stuff (inc Paul) like CSS, layout, mods, styles etc, which while important and useful is essentially secondary.

So while it is true that there are lots of people developing around punBB nowadays, if Rickard got hit by a bus, PunBB as an application would also be stopped in its tracks.

I know the source code is GPL'd and there are lots of talented people about who could probably keep the project going forward in Rickard's (theoretical) absence, but at the moment he is the only guy doing core code - fixing security bugs, building 1.3 etc.

That is a bit of risk you may have to accept in adopting PunBB.

I mean, Rickard's young, he's healthy and he still appears enthusiastic about the project smile so you can probably bank on having quite a few years of PunBB ahead, but at the end of the day it is still just one guy's project.

Without getting into a flame war, why do you wish to move to punbb from phpbb?

I like the CSS in punBB... The mods should be more easy. Its better written en PHPBB is now promising for ever to have there version 3 released. Also this forum seems to be more clear in what you can do with it.

I started with Punbb and then switched to PhpBB. I gave them both a good amount of time, looked at support available, how easy it was to style, add mods etc and PunBB was by far the better choice (so I switched back). Im not an expert when it comes to PHP and found that Support for phpbb was difficult to obtain because it was just so busy on the forum. PunBB has a busy community but you can always get your questions answered and it stays friendly.

The limited php I know has come from hacking away at PunBB and seeing what works and what doesn't.

even If punbb developer stops developing this software I don't see problems using it as it is for communities ! .... It already has all that you need really

sirena wrote:

So while it is true that there are lots of people developing around punBB nowadays, if Rickard got hit by a bus, PunBB as an application would also be stopped in its tracks.

We have successfully cloned Rickard, the only snag is accelerating the aging process so that the clone can take over where Rickard leaves off.

While Mr. Andersson is in beta, we have a new slogan:
Unfortunately no one is around to know what PunBB is - you have to code it for yourself

hcgtv wrote:

We have successfully cloned Rickard, the only snag is accelerating the aging process so that the clone can take over where Rickard leaves off.

So "The One" has become "The Two".

Well maybe we could clone you as well Paul... then we would have 2xpaul and 2xrickard. Double the power...

Then we would get 1.3 twice the speed..... wink
I like the sound of this.

Is there a road map for next versions?

Ive been looking at phpBB3 and it looks good, but then probably still 6 months developing time. I think this one has more more pottential.