Topic: To be able to change time..

For individual persons.

I've got some requests that the english dudes want to change the date to the American way, but all the European guys won't get squat then tongue

So how do i make it possible for each user to specify how to express the date?
Y-M-D or M/D/Y ..

I guess i have to add some extra cell into a table so it won't change for everybody.

Re: To be able to change time..

I'll put it on the list.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

i dont like that idea :\

Might I ask why?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

because it just seems stupid o.o

Uhm "ok"..

Kennel: Thank you big_smile

I've changed my mind. I probably won't add this. The only simple solution to the problem from a developers point of view is having the user enter the date/time format string himself in the profile, but I think that's a little too much to ask from a regular visitor.

Kennel wrote:

I've changed my mind. I probably won't add this. The only simple solution to the problem from a developers point of view is having the user enter the date/time format string himself in the profile, but I think that's a little too much to ask from a regular visitor.

But if theres a default in the text box such as "Y-M-d" then surely a User can understand what to change.

And if the user doesn't understand then they can leave it.

If they manage to balls it up then there can always be a "Revert to Default" function couldn't there?

Or why not just a simple radio-checkbox with the option to select between the two most common, YMD and MDY ?

RNilsson wrote:

Or why not just a simple radio-checkbox with the option to select between the two most common, YMD and MDY ?

I think UK users prefer d-M-Y, its how I'd like it anyway smile

Make an array with predefined formats foreach out radionbuttons?

JoeWesthead wrote:

But if theres a default in the text box such as "Y-M-d" then surely a User can understand what to change.

And if the user doesn't understand then they can leave it.

If they manage to balls it up then there can always be a "Revert to Default" function couldn't there?

You wouldn't believe the things some users try out. I'm certain such a function would lead to confusion and questions like "Why doesn't PunBB display any times?" and other stupid things.

Having a radio button with a number of predefined selections is an option, but I'm not sure I like it. It's not only a matter of solving the problem. The solution has to be elegant.

Why can't people everywhere just use the international standard? YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS that is :)

Because I'm from England. A place where things are done in two ways:

The English Way
The wrong way smile

Doesn't have to be a radio button. Why not a dropdown that uses the current time/date, so the dropdown would have:

16/11/2003 22:06
2003/11/16  22:06
11/16/2003 22:06

And then the American versions:

11/16/03 22:06
11/16/03 10:06 PM

And then whatever they use in India, Japan, Taiwan...

Well concessions have been made to change the whole of PunBB for a specific language. Seems like concessions for a date format could be possible.

What is the date format in Taiwan? wink

JoeWesthead wrote:

Well concessions have been made to change the whole of PunBB for a specific language. Seems like concessions for a date format could be possible.

Yeah, that's what "Time format" and "Date format" in admin/options are for :)

I'll stop arguing, you know where I stand smile

Vote YES on User-time-change :x

smile

It should be noted that anything that involves adding more columns to the different database tables goes through a more thorough screening process than other, simpler changes and add-ons. "User-time-change" requires the addition of a new column in the user table.