1 (edited by Paul 2006-05-25 21:44)

Topic: Accesskeys on PunBB - Do you use them

As the topic says, do you use the accesskeys available on submit and go buttons. Please only reply if you do use them and say whether it would be much of an inconvenience if they vanished.

The lack of response is gratifying. I feel a delete coming on.

Re: Accesskeys on PunBB - Do you use them

Bumped just to give more people a chance to respond.

Where is the list of shortcuts that can be used?

Paul,
You sure this is not one of those things that people could miss without knowing it. I use keys regular at work.. The Windows key that is. I would be lost without it these days.

4 (edited by snapsolutions 2006-05-27 00:11)

submit = alt + s

I barely use them.

I don't use them, but I know a total of 1 person who does. I doubt it would cause much of a ruckus if they disappeared, but I think the people that do use them, like them. Is there any reason for removing them? Because even if it's only a tiny, tiny percentage of people using them, this doesn't really seem like a feature that adds much bloat.

But do whatever. Just be prepared to face the wrath of the 3 people who vehemently love them.

Hard work may not kill you, but why take chances?

The reason for removing them is they can conflict with the standard key assignments of screen readers and various other user agents.  The current thinking amongst the accessibility community is they are a bad idea but if you must use them then they should conform to the current UK Govenment standard. Alt+S has become he standard accesskey for skip navigation.

Personally, I do and have used it.  I'm used to it because at work we use Microsoft Outlook. When you are done with the email, just hit Alt-S and it sends automatically...don't have to touch the mouse.  Pretty nice and I've transferred it over to PunBB boards as well.

With that said, I really wouldn't miss it too much. A tab or tab - tab can often get you to the submit button and then you just hit enter. Still not touching the mouse.

Maybe a user option for turning on accesskeys?

Jansson wrote:

Maybe a user option for turning on accesskeys?

I agree.. if possible and not code consuming.