Topic: Message Board Comparison Discussion - allowed on punBB ?

I seem to have reached a difference of opinion on the phpBB board about the benefits from comparing features between message board systems - so, I just though I'd ask what punbb's position is on the acceptability of discussions which compare features between punBB and other boards.
Here is the discussion and the reasons presented from both sides of this issue on the phpbb board:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=2159320

Re: Message Board Comparison Discussion - allowed on punBB ?

Here are the forum rules:

Use common sense. Don't post anything you wouldn't want your mother to see. Also, don't post test posts in any other forum than the test forum.

But if it's a troll... I think there are troll slayers here tongue

.._ -Pandark- _..
Serial Dreamer

As far as I am aware there is no official position. My own view is such general discussions are pointless since they usually degenerate into an argument over which is better and the answer to that will always be "that depends on what you want to use it for". There is also the danger that innacurate or inflamatory statements will be made about other scripts which, since the posts originate here, will put PunBB in a bad light.

If a potential user wants to find out if PunBB will satsify their particular requirements all they have to do is ask and they will get an honest answer.

Personally, I don't think "Which forum software is better" questions are best asked on the support forum of one of the choices: as has been said there, you'll get a biased answer tongue
On the other hand, asking "Is PunBB the right choice for me in these circumstances and if not, do you have any suggestions for alternatives" is better. Forum softwares are built for different things. PunBB is built to be lightweight. If you need more advanced group management and don't want to pay, I'd suggest phpBB (although that's probably because I'm not as familiar with SMF, etc).

So while I don't think it would be OK to make a topic about which forum software has the superior [feature x], I think it's OK to ask if this forum software has the necessary features and, if it doesn't, to ask for suggestions of alternatives

5 (edited by Jansson 2006-05-31 21:42)

I think discussions of these kind have been up here before. Problem is, there isn't anything to discuss really. We all know phpBB have more features than PunBB in the original package. And we all know PunBB is faster.

Other than that you can always discuss your personal preference, but why? tongue

phpBB is unstable and full of security holes, punBB isn't

^ that's about the biggest reason why I'd always advise other boards over phpBB

Paul wrote:

There is also the danger that innacurate or inflamatory statements will be made about other scripts which, since the posts originate here, will put PunBB in a bad light.

Its always nice to be proved right, and so quickly too.

Paul is just psychic like that smile

Let's get ready for a Rumble!!!!

In all seriousness, I'd pick Hulk Hogan as my partner anyday wink

hcgtv wrote:

...In all seriousness, I'd pick Hulk Hogan as my partner anyday wink

Each to his own. Personally I would pick Jessica Alba as mine.

I have yet to find forum software superior to punbb !

iatbm wrote:

I have yet to find forum software superior to punbb !

Thats always good to know. And if you do, please keep it to yourself wink

13 (edited by Denver Dave 2006-06-01 00:44)

Let's see.... let me take a deep breath and figure out why I'm here......  I have been very happy with phpBB in the past and it has not been until recently that it seems like the community is changing. I'm still on phpBB 2.0.0.19 because it is unclear whether the current phpBB 2.0.0.20 should be run without modifications - I don't remember this happening before.  Also, volume of spam has exploded this year, requiring several hours work each week to whack the spam.  To a certain extent all message boards have the same issue, but I'm hoping, some may be more proactive in producing tools to deal with the spam.

I noticed that some of the websites that I frequent were running punBB, so I thought I'd stop by and try to figure out why some are running punBB even though phpBB has been around quite a while and is free.  Thanks.

Well thats not really asking for a comparison, more asking why people like PunBB. Some of the reasons generally given.

1. Its fast

2. Its very fast

3. Its not cluttered with features a lot of people simply don't need.

4. Well coded so easy to modify

5. Security issues are addressed quickly.

6. Standards compliant (important to some but perhaps not the majority)

7. Can be styled entirely through stylesheets so no templates to maintain when there are updates.

8. Less security and spam problems than some other boards but this could be because the hackers and spammers attack the most widely used scripts.

9. It's fast smile

10. http://diariodelboss.altervista.org/giu … a_alba.jpg

lol, 10 is a hell of a reason hcgtv! big_smile