Topic: Disabling guest posting: Hell!

Hi all smile. I have been using Punbb since 1.2.6 and updating it.

I have never been able to disable guest posting. I go do edit group permissions, i choose guest and disable posting topics or replies, but I can continue posting perfectly without being registered.

Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks. Regards,
Pau

Re: Disabling guest posting: Hell!

pau8000 wrote:

Hi all smile. I have been using Punbb since 1.2.6 and updating it.

I have never been able to disable guest posting. I go do edit group permissions, i choose guest and disable posting topics or replies, but I can continue posting perfectly without being registered.

Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks. Regards,
Pau

I don't think it should let you post as guest tho... I quickly rifled through post.php, and found an if:

post.php wrote:

if (!$pun_user['is_guest'])
            {

So technically, it shouldn't let you post as guest wink

well you can just check it out here:

www.eyeos.org/forums/

I'm doing my best to find why it's happening, but...

Regards,
Pau

In the forum options, disallow it wink

I have tried it... But nothing happens. In fact, I have it desactivated (and appears as desactivated) but you can post new topics without being registered.

You've fixed it?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yes, this morning I created a new group ("nobody") with no permissions and moved "guest" user from group 3 (guests) to 5 (nobody) in the sql table, and this solved the problem.

The problem appeared after an upgrade from 1.2.6 to 1.2.9 or 1.2.10.

The upgrade script in those versions does not affect that database in any way except bump up the version number, so I doubt the upgrade was the culprit.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

hi,

could you teach me how to do that in mysql? because i have same problem here. Guest can post and unfortunately these guests are spambots sad

Thanks.

regards,

Soyuz

I'm in the same situation - guest posting is disabled in all forums, but unregistered users (mostly spammers) can post without any trouble (and I can log out of the board and post test entries easily). Just upgraded to v1.2.14 but the problem persists. This would seem to be a fairly critical bug, no?  Any timeline on a fix? Anything I can do to prevent guest posting until the bug is officially fixed?

Thanks.

It isn't a bug in PunBB
I've seen this happen in some older conversions, where the convertor accidentally didn't specify group ID for guests (so the Guest user needs to be updated to have a g_id of 3)

Smartys -

Are you referring to the groups table in the db? If I look at that with phpmyadmin, I see a g_id of 3 for Guest. 

Guest is set to 0 for all other fields in that row except for g_read_board, which is set to 1. So if I understand you correctly, this board would appear to be configured correctly, but still mysteriously allowing guest posting. Or am I looking in the wrong table?

Thanks,
Scot

shacker: No, he's referring to the users table. Look for the user with the username "Guest". This user should have id = 1 and g_id = 3.

Ah, bingo! I didn't have a user Guest, but I did have user Anonymous in gid 4. Changed that to Guest in gid 3 and now it's working properly. I wonder if this could have had something to do with the fact that this board was converted directly from phpBB. Anyway, thanks much both!