Re: What is planned for PunBB 1.3 then?

Ok, i go to topic "Bug Reports"! smile You confused? wink

Oh, excuse me for my English, i'm from Russia...

Ok, I've read this from the start (and other threads along this line). What bothers me: I want to change from SMF which is integrated in Joomla!. A friend pointed out punBB and from what I see and read it may be my forum software of choice. BUT:

Over more than one year 1.3 is in the making. But I cannot wait another 1 or 2 years for an update which carries the things which are essential for me. If I'd take punBB as it is now it is almost useless for me because I would have to install lots of MODs like pms, avatars, etc. The big question is also the conversion of the SMF database if I must use MODs for almost everything except the bare bones. It's a database with more than 2K users and more than 110K postings, so you don't mess with that if you don't have to.

I have to / want to decide which forum software we want to use within this year. So I hoped I could get a bit more information about the state of 1.3. If this stays as unpredictable as it is now, I'll have to turn elsewhere, no doubt about that and no choice either. So, please give me a chance and let me hear something more helpful than the Debian Mantra (and if you don't want to do it in public because you don't want to be crucified if you can't keep the schedule, then drop me a mail).

Hopefully,

wobo
http://www mandrivauser.de

FSFE Fellow #359 - The Freedom of Knowledge is a Human Right

Over more than one year 1.3 is in the making. But I cannot wait another 1 or 2 years for an update which carries the things which are essential for me. If I'd take punBB as it is now it is almost useless for me because I would have to install lots of MODs like pms, avatars, etc.

PunBB has avatars tongue
Also, those features aren't going to be in 1.3: they'll just probably be extensions as opposed to mods. You'll still have to install them (although it should be somewhat easier)

Smartys wrote:

Also, those features aren't going to be in 1.3: they'll just probably be extensions as opposed to mods. You'll still have to install them (although it should be somewhat easier)

That's exactly what I mean. I don't see any sense in starting to work on making punBB compliant to what we need when there will be a new version out in 2 or 3 months. But if I cannot get any information about that, it also makes no sense to wait any longer, just because of punBB.
A normal situation: before starting a large move you need information. If you can't get that information, don't move. If you have to move, move to where you get the information.

wobo

80 (edited by Smartys 2006-06-14 21:25)

wobo wrote:
Smartys wrote:

That's exactly what I mean. I don't see any sense in starting to work on making punBB compliant to what we need when there will be a new version out in 2 or 3 months.

Even if it comes out then, I don't know that the extensions will be created and tested enough by then: it might take a bit more.
So, if you want to use PunBB then use 1.2: I doubt you'll see 1.3 with all the major extensions before fall at the VERY earliest (after all, the extension system still has to be written and it still has to be beta tested)

Paul wrote:
Gizzmo wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I'm gonna let Paul answer that question.

Paul?

If by style you mean the way it looks, not much, at least not with the current stylesheet set. If you mean changes to the stylesheet, yes, lots.

Will the custom stylesheets made for 1.2.* work with the new code of 1.3? yikes

the musnet.com

By the way - how much is the fish?

No

Smartys wrote:

So, if you want to use PunBB then use 1.2: I doubt you'll see 1.3 with all the major extensions before fall at the VERY earliest

As I wrote, that would be ok, as long as it is in this year.

May be I did not make my point clear enough:
If 1.3 will come this year I can wait. If not, I see no point in installing 1.2 and all necessary MODs and work on the conversion of the database now and going through the same ordeal a couple of months later again. Therefore I would need a little more than "It's ready when it's ready." Although I understand that in a non-commercial surrounding this is often all you can get.

Fact is, I want to change forum software within this year. Be it punBB, good. If not, as well, though I'd personally prefer punBB.

wobo

Smartys wrote:

No

Meh...

the musnet.com

By the way - how much is the fish?

I personally doubt we will see 1.3 this year. However, updating from 1.2 to 1.3 will be much easier than coming from any other forum software to PunBB.

Jansson wrote:

However, updating from 1.2 to 1.3 will be much easier than coming from any other forum software to PunBB.

Not if a large part of the system consists of MODs, especially MODs which have their part in the database! Reading that the majority of the MODs will be integrated differently in 1.3 it seems to me that updating from 1.2 to 1.3 will as gruesome for me as switching from any other software to PunBB.
You are right if we were talking about the pure PunBB without any extensions.

Ok, so, assuming that Richard agrees to the opinions given by Smartys and Jansson I'll have to look at phpBB as the only other GPL'd software which meets the most requirements of our forum. I will keep an eye on PunBB though for another forum I plan to build soon.

wobo

I'm certain that most people will create a script to update their mods from 1.2 to 1.3 (in terms of the database)

Jansson wrote:

I personally doubt we will see 1.3 this year.

If that turns out to be true, I will eat my hat.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

89 (edited by Limber 2006-06-15 19:36)

If you don't own a hat, one will be supplied for you.

http://www.costumeshopper.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fm55264.jpg

Edit: wink

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

90 (edited by Jeef 2006-06-16 13:50)

Elzar wrote:
Rickard wrote:

One potential change regarding the tpl files is that each style will have its own set of tpl files.

Is that likely to affect performance?

One of the reasons i dislike phpBB is the endless template files...

Agreed, agreed, AGREED! I totally despise phpBB's method for working with templates. It's far too over-complicated. PunBB is simple to the point where you can drop it in with the rest of your site and, within minutes, customize it to fit in up-to-par with the rest of your website.

If a developer's skipping across this message, I have a serious idea that is not related to either private messaging or polls: is it possible to ship 1.3 out (whenever that day may come) with support for managing multiple administrators (perhaps with groups, but ideally on a user-by-user basis)? I know that you guys have been working on support for managing multiple moderator groups, so I figured throwing this out there was kindof in the same vicinity. I have toyed with creating a plugin to do something similar to this (multiple administrator and moderator groups), but I feel that I should wait for 1.3 to hit before I get too wrapped up in it, considering 1.3 may alleviate a lot of my pain in this department. If there's no hope for this, oh well, at least drop a reply so I will know not to abandon my plugin just yet. tongue

At any rate, off I go for sleep, it's 9:50 AM here and I have yet to sleep. Thanks for all of your hard work, contributors of PunBB; Rickard, especially.

Jeef wrote:

Regarding private messaging and polls: while I whole-heartedly agree that PunBB does not need a lot of bloat, I somehow fail to see how polls, at the absolute least, are considered bloat (I am not flaming, here, either). Private messaging systems can be difficult to implement in that they require a lot of carefully-planned effort to come together in a clean and orderly fashion. Polls, on the other hand, are fairly easy to implement;

Actually, I would say that polls are more difficult to implement because they need to be integrated into the topic view. Private messages are easy because they can be implemented almost entirely in their own scripts.

Jeef wrote:

I am not trying to rant, here, either; I am instead merely curious to see what the developers think of eventually bringing private messaging and polls in as a standard part of PunBB (be it built-in or via officially supported extensions).

It is my intention to have at least good, solid, well-tested extensions for these things available for download via punbb.org. "Officially supported" is stretching it a bit, but then again, is PunBB, as a whole, officially supported? smile

Jeef wrote:

If a developer's skipping across this message, I have a serious idea that is not related to either private messaging or polls: is it possible to ship 1.3 out (whenever that day may come) with support for managing multiple administrators (perhaps with groups, but ideally on a user-by-user basis)? I know that you guys have been working on support for managing multiple moderator groups, so I figured throwing this out there was kindof in the same vicinity.

I fail to see how anyone would have use for that. I mean, the most requested feature regarding moderator groups is that people want to be able to have multiple moderator groups where each group has a private forum. That won't make sense with administrators since they automatically have full access.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I agree that certainly private messaging ought to be "officially supported". By that I mean steps should be taken to ensure it gets updated when PunBB gets updated.

P.S. Its sounds as if it wouild almost be as quick to actually create the extensions as it would be to do "good solid well testing". There is one real advantage from a markup point of view and that is steps can be taken to ensure the core markup accomodates the extension neatly.

93 (edited by Jeef 2006-06-16 13:59)

Eh, the deal with "officially supported" is it'd be nice to see everyone agreeing to work together on one good implementation of private messaging and polls. Seeing three or four clones flop over the same goal is pretty stupid, and that's what it mildly looked like to me last time I checked out PunRes.

As for the administrator issue, I am tired and muddling up my goal here. I think having multiple moderator groups will solve the problem. The issue I'm dealing with is quite like what you described, with holding "private" forums for specific groups, and all.

EDIT: My, aren't we active this morning? Two replies as I was editing/typing mine.

I dropped my extension rant from my last post because I went back and finished the 3rd page, and noticed almost everyone's buzzing over it still. I'm not too hard pressed for either of those issues, because quite frankly I'd take PunBB 1.2 over any other forum system, regardless of whether it had those features or not. Also, if we can all agree on some extensions being sort of "official," perhaps more people (i.e. me) would be willing to contribute to them if necessary.

94 (edited by Smartys 2006-06-16 14:00)

There were two implementations of the poll mod, but one was dropped as soon as the other was created (the first one was in beta when the second came out). I don't know about clones of the private messaging mod.

I agree that having more than one extension or mod or whatever is a bad thing. We will make sure that doesn't happen with the most important extensions.

96 (edited by Jeef 2006-06-16 14:08)

Smartys wrote:

There were two implementations of the poll mod, but one was dropped as soon as the other was created (the first one was in beta when the second came out). I don't know about clones of the private messaging mod.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I have seen clones/variations of other mods that seem to be about the same, though, and it just seems counter-productive to me (it's been a _while_ since I've looked at PunRes, though, I'll say that much). Perhaps I'll check it out again and see how the mods are coming along. With this whole "extensions" thing on the horizon, perhaps leaving private messaging and polling out of the main forum suite is a good idea; I mean, if adding them becomes a simple (semi?) automated procedure, it might actually break things apart for the better, not the worse.

Rickard wrote:

I agree that having more than one extension or mod or whatever is a bad thing. We will make sure that doesn't happen with the most important extensions.

That's very reassuring. I'm glad that you guys actually put some time and effort into PunBB, it really shines through, unlike with most other alternatives. Oh yeah, and thanks for clearing up whatever I was confused about earlier with the Admin situation, I should have considered the fact that administrators can see the other forums anyway. Off I go for sleep, finally. tongue

Paul wrote:
Gizzmo wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I'm gonna let Paul answer that question.

Paul?

If by style you mean the way it looks, not much, at least not with the current stylesheet set. If you mean changes to the stylesheet, yes, lots.

Any new colours?

Any colour you like, the stylesheets are yours to edit as you please.

99 (edited by StevenBullen 2006-09-13 01:14)

I meant as in the standard/default. Oxygen...

Its not exactly a deal breaker lol

Not wanting to rant or start anything but I'm curious, is there a tentative release schedule for 1.3?  Will it include the ability to split posts from a thread into it's own thread?