Re: How leave GoogelBot reads forums as a member?

@pogenwurst, if you know googlebots ip address what's the point in presenting itself as MSIE anywhey smile

@falconflyz, don't worry, we are not talking about you and your site, just shareing thought on this subject...

@CodeXP, yes I know that, it's just the first thing that crossed my mind..

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

gog wrote:

@pogenwurst, if you know googlebots ip address what's the point in presenting itself as MSIE anywhey

Hmm, you have a point with that, although cloaking via the user agent would be at least slightly easier, as you would just need to regex the UA for "Google" and you'd catch most everything, whereas gathering the necessary IP addresses to catch all or most of Google's bots could prove at least a bit difficult (there are lists available on the web, although I'm unsure of their accuracy or completeness). Disguising Googlebot certainly isn't a perfect solution to fight cloaking, but it's a start.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

As I sad before, google can fight cloacking by picking a random page (or couple of pages) as MSIE or some other browser. I don't have anything more smart to say about this topic smile I guess google knows better smile

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

just going back to this... (i know it's an old thread)

is what you want to do actually show them on the online users - which usually lists members who are online - when the search engine spiders are visiting.. I've seen this as a mod for VB but if used on PunBB for instance I would imagine it needs to appear something like:-
-------------------------------

Registered users online: 1
Guests online: 0

Online:   Pun Member, googlebot, yahoo! slurp, msnbot, google adsense

-----------------------------------

Mad-Wolfie wrote:

just going back to this... (i know it's an old thread)

is what you want to do actually show them on the online users - which usually lists members who are online - when the search engine spiders are visiting.. I've seen this as a mod for VB but if used on PunBB for instance I would imagine it needs to appear something like:-
-------------------------------

Registered users online: 1
Guests online: 0

Online:   Pun Member, googlebot, yahoo! slurp, msnbot, google adsense

-----------------------------------

No, that's not what he wants. He wants to let Googlebot index members-only content.

I believe the BotDetect mod is meant to do what you are talking about, Mad-Wolfe.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I follow you now, just as a follow up from this, is there a mod so you can see what any users who are online are doing (posting a message, changing profile etc) or what page or thread they are viewing?  Sort of like "viewonline.php" that phpBB uses?

Mad-Wolfie wrote:

I follow you now, just as a follow up from this, is there a mod so you can see what any users who are online are doing (posting a message, changing profile etc) or what page or thread they are viewing?  Sort of like "viewonline.php" that phpBB uses?

I believe PunOnline does that.

That'll be the one i'm after then, cheers Pogenwurst cool