Topic: Saving parsed versions of messages

I just took a look at my newly installed PunBB-forum, but I noticed that you don't save a parsed version of the posts. This means that with every hit you have to replace all the smileys, links, etc which can be timeconsuming.

PunBB has some goals of which performance is one if I understand it correctly. I think this would fit in that strategy because it can cause a nice performanceincrease smile

Re: Saving parsed versions of messages

This has been discussed earlier, not long ago. The main reason PunBB parses every message is because of the edit function and because it's space-saving wink

I don't see the problem of the edit function; I forgot something: The idea is offcourse to save the parsed version ánd an unparsed version of the post smile Space, well, will that really be a problem?

On large forums, yes.

5 (edited by neographikal 2006-07-28 14:27)

Well, I don't fully agree to that actually. I don't know if your are familiar with the forums of www.tweakers.net, but they are very very large. A database of 20GB+, more than over 150.000 registered users and miljons of posts. They are using forumsoftware called react, which uses both parsed and unparsed versions to improve the performance, and it performs like a madman.

The database will get bigger, but that wouldn't be a problem, things like the correct key's and index'es are much more important than the size of the database itself.

Well, if you really want to, you can always modify PunBB (quite easily even) for that. But in my eyes it's just silly to store the same thing twice =/

7 (edited by neographikal 2006-07-28 14:43)

Just wondering why it would be silly, because you're not saving the same thing twice. You are saving the data that come out some functions that move a lot of data around and that cost a lot of cpu-cycles.

The "you can do it yourself" is the easiest thing to say offcourse, but with every update this is a problem: you have to keep track of each modification that has been made in that release to the files that affect your functionality. But more important is that other users can also profit from such a modification. smile

neographikal wrote:

The "you can do it yourself" is the easiest thing to say offcourse, but with every update this is a problem: you have to keep track of each modification that has been made in that release to the files that affect your functionality.

No, not really, you can use the hdiff to update manually if you have a modded forum.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Indeed, and we have PunRes to share modifications wink

True, thanks for the tips offcourse, but that's not truly my point. Ofcourse you can edit everything yourself, \o/ @ opensource, but why not just implement it. I'm trying to get a discussion going that is about the ad- and disadvantages of this measure. Is it worth it and what is against it, etc smile

I was trying to find the thread about it, but I can't remember what it was called... only that it was in PunBB Discussions tongue

12 (edited by neographikal 2006-07-28 17:01)

Yeah, I searched for it prior to starting topic smile

Anyway, have you ever looked at the parser.php. That's quite a lot of work for a cpu to do smile