Re: PunBB needs your money!

I wonder how much money blimps go for these days...

102 (edited by neofutur 2005-11-03 19:24)

Hi Rickard

your post gave me the idea to build my own french pixelpage .

to thank you ( and also to help punBB who allowed me to leave PhpBB forever wink
for the idea can I give you a free space on http://pixels.ww7.be/ ?

I used the same 30*30 icon you used, but the page is not finished, and still being developped.

Since I found no example code to make it I made my own  PhpMyPixelPage as creative commons nc-by-sa  and put it on on freshmeat ( http://freshmeat.net/projects/phpmypixelpage/ ) , now anyone wanting to roll his own pixelpage can ( now only alpha code but works and can be customized by anyone knowin a little php/misql/html ).

Just send "a few bucks" but i must admit i'm not very found of these million dollars pages. maybe i start being too old ?

Buy a Llama or something. That'd be awesome.

105 (edited by PlanetPhillip 2005-11-15 19:56)

Hi,

I know I'm a bit late joining this conversation but I have a suggestion.  How about some sort of competition?

Best new mod or theme (I'm still considering using this software and got sidetrack in here. Does PunBB use themes?)

Competitions often create plenty of publicity (especially if there are cash prizes!) and that may drive new traffic to the site.

The prizes can be small and run every 6 months or something.  I'm sure other users can think of some but here are a few more:

Best slogan in under ten words.
Why I use PunnBB instead of other Forum software.
Why I can't live without PunBB.
New/updated Logo design (Not that the current one is bad but sometimes it?s nice to updated it.)
New/updated banner graphics.
Best new feature suggestion.

Your turn....

PlanetPhillip
http://www.planetphillip.com/
Commentary and Analysis of Sci-Fi Single Player First Person Shooters

Not a bad idea PlanetPhillip. I will most definately start a best theme contest once 1.3 is out.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

http://millionquarterwebpage.com/

Why am i not surprised a lot of copy cat websites are appearing all over the net?

Wow this is really starting to make me mad, the whole idea is well worthless. Why should the be a million copies. Affliation and putting your link into lists of simular sites is much more effective.

Main
Forums
Future

Featured on CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/1 … index.html

The Last 1,000 Pixels on MillionDollarHomepage.com are on Ebay

this guy is shitting himself. current bid: US $160,109.09
why couldn't i have thought of this first?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Hi Rickard,

I'm a firm beliver in helping developers like you, who selflessly make applications available to the wider developer community.

While I am only a small blip on the internet landscape, I just donated USD$100 as a token of my appreciation. Its the most that I can afford right now (actually its a bit more than that).

I have adopted PunBB as my businesses forum, and had it up and running in minutes. Congratulations, and should my business start generating revenue, I look foward to donating what I really beleive your application is worth. Much more.

Good luck (to us both).

Kind Regards,
MT

clubturps: Thank you very much clubturps! I just e-mailed you a thank you message and asked if you wanted me to change the listing on the donor list. Just let me know!

I've been getting a donation here and there lately, so I'm looking forward to holding a style and extension competition once 1.3 is finished. I think I will be able to come up with some nice cash prizes!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Did you actually buy pixels yet?

It is a waste of money, nothing but a bunch of spamming advertisers on there.

It may be smart or not, but the fact is there are stupid people all over the world. Before internet, these stupid people were duped into mail order, phone, and door to door scams. Well now there is a new generation of idiots that are easily led automatons that believe anything that is posted on the internet.

QUESTION:
For a forum software maker that is concerned with privacy, security, and hacking concerns, why connect yourself with people that do those things? You are just asking for trouble.

I am seriously thinking of not using PunBB now.

Did you actually buy pixels yet?

The Million Dollar Homepage was 'completed' ages ago.

It is a waste of money, nothing but a bunch of spamming advertisers on there.

Silly advertisers! What were they thinking?!

It may be smart or not

$1,000,000 is totally not smart.

For a forum software maker that is concerned with privacy, security, and hacking concerns, why connect yourself with people that do those things? You are just asking for trouble.

Yeah Rickard, how dare you endanger us PunBB users with your reckless advertising?

Elzar wrote:

Yeah Rickard, how dare you endanger us PunBB users with your reckless advertising?

It is no the fact about advertising, it is where one advertises...

You have a high school play coming up... Do you post bills up near the night club and bar scene?

You have a Motocross competition... Do you advertise in a old folks home?

It is looking for your target audience and looking to keep certain groups away, such as, hackers, spammers, and so forth.

Advertise all you want, but why waste the money, time, and effort on something that you will either be a needle in the hay stack or be attacked by unwanted trouble.

Or am I talking to a 13 year old that has no idea about things like this?

ariapictures wrote:

Advertise all you want, but why waste the money, time, and effort on something that you will either be a needle in the hay stack or be attacked by unwanted trouble.

It's about having a laugh and a bit of respect for Alex Tew's idea. This isn't Microsoft.

ariapictures wrote:

Well, that's your decision then. Personally, I use PunBB for the extreme performance and stability. And also because security issues are patched in just a day or two.

I couldn't care less about a little image on milliondollarhomepage. And we should not forget that when this thread was posted, there were only like 5-10% filled, so who could say it was full with scammers?

i think Rickard decided to use the $ twards prizes for a future contest to promote 1.3.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Rickard wrote:

I've been getting a donation here and there lately, so I'm looking forward to holding a style and extension competition once 1.3 is finished. I think I will be able to come up with some nice cash prizes!

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I came to know about www.millionpennyhomepage.com from punbb. This gives the idea which site is more popular (at least people cares about  forums ) !

$1million dollars for a university education. LOL - But he did make the forum and its excellent. Now I just need to figure out how to change the skin and colours to match my site, then I may be willing to part with some cash. LOL

santino wrote:

$1million dollars for a university education. LOL - But he did make the forum and its excellent. Now I just need to figure out how to change the skin and colours to match my site, then I may be willing to part with some cash. LOL

Rickard isn't a part of the milliondollarhomepage.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I could never come up with the idea of starting www.millionpennyhomepage.com. I guess I just wouldn't think people are that stupid wink
I think the decision to not use the money for a ad there was wise. And like Rickard sad, if you don't want the money to be used for anything else than www.millionpennyhomepage.com you can have your money back.

Rickard wrote:

Not a bad idea PlanetPhillip. I will most definately start a best theme contest once 1.3 is out.

Great big_smile I would love to participate smile

124 (edited by spytrdr 2006-09-13 05:27)

The best promotion is word of mouth and excellence. Eventually people do notice.
What caught my attention about this forum script is it's beautiful and elegant design out of the box. It's surprising to find that's it's also very intelligently done under the hood.
I arrived here from Wikipedia's mini-portal on open source software, was reading an article there comparing a list of open source forum scripts. I was curious to find if there was something else, something better than phpBB or vBulletin, and when I visited punbb.org I knew instantly, from the design and style of this website, that I would like this script.
I've been using phpBB for years, but was always annoyed at it's horrible default "subSilver" template, childish and full of unnecessary graphics, that I had to modify for hours in order to please my tastes.
I think with punBB I've found what I was looking for. Now I need to convert the phpBB databases of several different sites of mine to punBB. I'm still dragging my feet though because punBB doesn't support private messaging and polls, and don't want to break anything when doing the conversions.
Congratulations Rickard for your beautiful creation: punBB. Keep up the work please. I'll make a donation to the project soon.

Private messaging mod: http://www.punres.org/files.php?pid=52
Poll mod: http://www.punres.org/files.php?pid=60

I don't know if phpBB PMs or polls would convert though.