Topic: Copyright message still has 2005

Not a big deal, but if the code has been updated this year then surely the date (under administration) should too?

I get

PunBB 1.2.13 - Check for upgrade
© Copyright 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Rickard Andersson

Re: Copyright message still has 2005

Correct. I'll update it for the next release.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Wouldn't be easier to do &copy Copyright 2002 - <?php echo date("Y"); ?> Rickard Andersson?

It would be easier, but it wouldn't be correct. The year reflects the "year of publication".

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I personally change it myself. Because I disagree with Rickard on this one.

To me the 2002-2006 does not state when the release came out but how long PunBB has had copyright stated on it.

But all to there own... big_smile

6 (edited by Jansson 2006-10-04 13:57)

Rickard's right, but the question is, why hasn't he updated it during any of the last 3 versions released 2006 tongue

StevenBullen wrote:

I personally change it myself. Because I disagree with Rickard on this one.

I'm far from certain that the way I do it (or at least should do it big_smile) is the correct way. If you have any other information on this, I would appreciate a look.

most companies I've worked w/ have used the notation © first pub date - current date.  I dont believe there's a wrong way to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

9 (edited by sunshine 2006-10-05 02:16)

MadHatter wrote:

most companies I've worked w/ have used the notation © first pub date - current date.

I'm most familiar with that as well.

But, copyright doesn't expire until 70 years after the death of the author, regardless of the date on it, so it's just an aesthetic thing, rather than an enforcable disclaimer.

Legally, the copyright date cannot be updated unless the design/content has been updated. smile

ortzinator wrote:

Legally, the copyright date cannot be updated unless the design/content has been updated. smile

Legally, you don't need the dates tongue

Smartys is correct. Legally the copyright date isn't needed. To be strictly accurate, legally you don't need the copyright notice at all.