Re: What is the database prefix used for?

I finally got them working, and so far it seems to be working perfectly.
Thank you all for helping so much, because I was completely in the dark when I started this topic.

What was your final solution to the finla problem?  Will you post for us?
Thanks.
TwoHawks

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

I finally took a slightly different route than what people suggested here.
Instead of going in and changing every line, I used the thread that pogenwurst posted, where you modified only one line in include/dblayer/mysql.php

The thread is here
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8755

I made sure the cookie seed and cookie name were the same.
I assume I had originally missed a couple of things I was supposed to change, becuase a couple of them were in a context where they didn't show up when I searched for them.

I wonder why this didn't work for erinther (the other post referenced here)?

Well, Thank you Plub...
I really apreciate this thread because I have been trying to understand the use of prefix and figure out how I might best approach installing more forums (especially like a mirror forum for pre-testing adding mods to an existing 'live/active' forum configuration). 

Would the recommendation here generally be that if you decide to install mutliple forums on your site you "best" go ahead and use the same database (utilizing prefixes), and that way if you wish to later cross-work anything then that capability will potentially be available?
Generally speaking, What are important considerations to be taking into account for deciding to use a separate database, or using the same one (with prefixing)?
(Sorry if these seem a perocial questions... just want to be certain of the value of the intention for same or separate database usage.)

Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

Would the recommendation here generally be that if you decide to install mutliple forums on your site you "best" go ahead and use the same database (utilizing prefixes), and that way if you wish to later cross-work anything then that capability will potentially be available?

It's a good idea (you can move tables between databases by importing backups though), but the prefix is mostly for allowing multiple copies of PunBB/other scripts to use the same database.

ok, ty Smarty
-cheers,
H2H

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool