Topic: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

If anyone is still sitting on the fence and wondering if they should try out Linux, then the latest Ubuntu is for you.

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is Desktop Linux done right, time to wipe out any traces of Windows wink

Re: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

I've got a couple questions that hopefully you'll be answer...

1. How well do you think Ubuntu would perform on an old PIII?

2. Can I set up VNC or something similar on Ubuntu so I can access it remotely (not access it on the command line through SSH, but actually see the desktop & such)?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

i got the ubuntu in the mail last week.. going to build 2.4 intel system to run it...

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

1. I have a Sony Vaio which has a PIII, I was dual booting Debian on it a couple of years back, it ran just fine with 256MB of memory. Today, with the new Kernel, performance should be even better, the Ubuntu Desktop CD should give you a good idea what it would be like since you can run it like a Live CD.

2. I've tried TightVNC before and it performed pretty good, it was faster than any commercial product I've ever used.

1. The PC I had in mind is also a Sony Vaio, what a coincidence smile

Thanks for the info.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

My Gateway notebook just came back from a repair (with a formatted hard drive - just Windows, no OEM software... boots in less than 10 seconds!) so I decided to have a bit of fun and install Dapper Drake. I've still got a bit of work to do learning / configuring but overall I'm extremely impressed. smile

The only real hitch that I've had so far is that Logitech doesn't have Linux drivers for my VX Revolution. I've found some fancy-mouse guides out there, but they seem quite complicated. sad

Hey, I have a Gateway laptop also smile

I'm using the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 on mine, works just fine. But it's rather basic, no extra buttons to configure in the X config file. I guess I've been bitten so many times in the past that when I buy peripherals these days, I keep it simple.

Ubuntu eh... has it finally become a decent Linux?
I might download it and install it on VMWare to check tongue

Posting from Ubuntu on VMWare now ^^

I wonder why it won't install VMWare Tools =/ Cos now I'm on a 1024x768 resolution in a window that can easily support much higher resolutions =/

hcgtv wrote:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is Desktop Linux done right, time to wipe out any traces of Windows wink

Until you want to play to something, then you're back to be stuck with Windows.

Jérémie wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Until you want to play to something, then you're back to be stuck with Windows.

Honestly, I don't have the time to play games on my computers. When I do find the time and I can wrestle the Playstation from my son, I'll have a go at some simulation game, like racing.

Well it's part of my job, so I'me very sensitive to the subject.

And beside, gaming is good for the mind, the heart, and the soul smile

I installed dapper last week on a dual boot system, it works well, everything works as it should. I could recomend dapper for others to

I ran into a little problem yesterday... su didn't work. It asked for a pass, I enter it, pass incorrect >=/

I fail to see the logic there. As that pass worked for entering some of the administration parts.

elbekko wrote:

I ran into a little problem yesterday... su didn't work. It asked for a pass, I enter it, pass incorrect >=/

I fail to see the logic there. As that pass worked for entering some of the administration parts.

If you're running Ubuntu, SU isn't used by default. What you'll have to to is to set a password for the root account (sudo passwd root). Alternatively, you could do it the way I prefer, by just entering sudo su.

Ok, thanks smile That worked.
But it's silly that the root account isn't properly configured at install.

If I wanted to try this as a desktop system plus Apache, php etc for development whats the best route to go ie. donwload the deskop cd and then add the server components or download the server cd and add the desktop stuff. Bear in mind I need a one click LAMP install with zero configuration.

Go for the desktop system and install LAMP for linux or something (I know XAMPP has a Linux installer)

elbekko wrote:

Ok, thanks smile That worked.
But it's silly that the root account isn't properly configured at install.

I believe their reasoning behind that is that they feel the system is a bit more secure that way, seeing as if you have to use sudo, every root command you perform will be logged. It also allows you to execute those root commands without the need to remember two separate passwords. It does take a while to get used to, but after a while it becomes second nature smile

Jérémie, do you create games?

Paul, do an install from the live cd, then https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

I've switched completely away from windows.
I have a second harddrive partitioned (using logical volumes) to about 8 partitions, each a different linux OS.

I have 2 installs of ubuntu, and although nice, I'd say my favorite Linux distro is Opensuse.
I've used all of the following:
Fedora Core 3 (I have 6 but I'm lazy to install)
Linspire
OpenSuse 10.1
DamnSmallLinux
Ubuntu (warty and dapper both)
kubuntu
slax (live)
easys
puppy
pocketlinux
gentoo
and blah some more...

Suse is really complete, and I love the KDE interface default on it, (which is in kubuntu obviously too but just saying), and YaST is useful up to most extents.

I'm not sure why all the hype about ubuntu, its loads of fun being fast and stuff, but, DSL is way faster, and although tiny, I mean, come on, it does everything! (I have it on my usb stick. and mac OS7 too)

I use FC3 for my server, which runs fine, but the graphics card support is horrible!
Same for ubuntu, the graphics support for ATI (lawl shutup) is horrible too. I can't get higher than 640x

22 (edited by CodeXP 2006-10-16 11:12)

Rahvin wrote:

I've switched completely away from windows.
I have a second harddrive partitioned (using logical volumes) to about 8 partitions, each a different linux OS.

I have 2 installs of ubuntu, and although nice, I'd say my favorite Linux distro is Opensuse.
I've used all of the following:
Fedora Core 3 (I have 6 but I'm lazy to install)
Linspire
OpenSuse 10.1
DamnSmallLinux
Ubuntu (warty and dapper both)
kubuntu
slax (live)
easys
puppy
pocketlinux
gentoo
and blah some more...

Suse is really complete, and I love the KDE interface default on it, (which is in kubuntu obviously too but just saying), and YaST is useful up to most extents.

I'm not sure why all the hype about ubuntu, its loads of fun being fast and stuff, but, DSL is way faster, and although tiny, I mean, come on, it does everything! (I have it on my usb stick. and mac OS7 too)

I use FC3 for my server, which runs fine, but the graphics card support is horrible!
Same for ubuntu, the graphics support for ATI (lawl shutup) is horrible too. I can't get higher than 640x

Well, I guess people just have different tastes. Personally, I can't stand SuSe or any other RPM based distros. If I can't apt, I'm not using it. Also, I hate the fact that many of the other distros tries to pack in everything but the kitchen sink (and sometimes they *do* include that as well tongue) on those disks. Seriously, there is absolutely no need for a fully packed DVD for a damn OS. I want a polished distro, like K/Ubuntu, and download what programs I need afterwards.

EDIT: As for ATI drivers, well sure that could be better, but there is absolutely no need to run in 640 ever. If everything else fails, just use the Vesa driver.

hcgtv wrote:

If anyone is still sitting on the fence and wondering if they should try out Linux, then the latest Ubuntu is for you.

Done since two years smile
I slowly started to evaluate Linux with Mandrake and Debian, tried a few distros and then discovered earlier versions of Ubuntu. Now, Ubuntu became my easy to use system for 3 of my computers.
No pain, only pleasure to use my PC's at their full potential.

Nearly free from Micromachin ! the only thing we would need is more commercial games directly compatible for Linux  !

hcgtv wrote:

Hey, I have a Gateway laptop also smile

I'm using the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 on mine, works just fine. But it's rather basic, no extra buttons to configure in the X config file. I guess I've been bitten so many times in the past that when I buy peripherals these days, I keep it simple.

Is your Gateway laptop crap also?

I guess I shouldn't complain, it was free. smile

pogenwurst wrote:

Is your Gateway laptop crap also?

For the price, it's been working great, my specs.

My daughter also has a Gateway laptop, haven't had any issues with it either.