Topic: Memcache

Has there been any thought to adding memcached support (PHP API here) to PunBB? That could make PunBB even faster and more scalable.

Re: Memcache

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't that require people use memcache?

No, it would be an option, I guess. MediaWiki can be used with or without it, for example.

This could be a candidate for a PunBB 1.3 extension.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

How so -- will PunBB 1.3 have some sort of flexible hookish extension system? (If so, I am excited! smile)

Adam Atlas wrote:
Rickard wrote:

How so -- will PunBB 1.3 have some sort of flexible hookish extension system? (If so, I am excited! smile)

You hit the nail on the head smile

EDIT: Aaargh Smartys, you keep doing that. smile

Meanwhile, in 1.2, could a quick hack be to use the API in the dblayer file and hash the query for an ID? I was actually looking at memcache the other day and pondering this (although I have no need whatsoever to do this).

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

8 (edited by Adam Atlas 2006-10-20 00:24)

Smartys wrote:
Adam Atlas wrote:
Rickard wrote:

You hit the nail on the head smile

Awesome! That's something that I've looked for in quite a few free forum packages (and something I love about working with MediaWiki), but I haven't found one before.

Is there an explanation of this system posted anywhere? Or should I just poke around in the SVN?

It's not fully in SVN yet (or rather, the hooks aren't)
Here's a demo:
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9218