Topic: Please Help with Miniportal Setup

Hello, I'm brand new to punBB. I have done Part 2 of the Miniportal modification and I have a few things I'd like to change. I want the information that is contained in <pun_status> to appear in the block on the left Menu box. I can move them there fine by just placing <pun_status> under <pun_navlinks> in main.tpl, but how do I style it? It's out of control in the alignment department. I've looked at all the .css files I can find and nowhere do I see where to style <pun_status>.

An answer to this question might help me with the next one, which is:

I want to move the links at the bottom of the page
    Show recent posts
    Show unanswered posts
    Show your subscribed topics
    Show your posts
to the Menu box, also.
I guess those items are in <pun_footer>, but where's that?

Are all of these things just simple links that I could add into the Menu box, maybe? That seems too easy. [I'm from phpBB. *shudder*]

Thank you!

Re: Please Help with Miniportal Setup

If you want to change the message that <pun_status> delivers, you can change that in header.php. Changing the style of it, you would have to add some CSS for it in your index.php.

I'm trying to recall where the footer links are.. but can't remember, I'll get back to you if I do.

I'm not sure I want to change the message, just move it. It's already styled somewhere; I just want to know where that is so I can change it. Knowing that will help me solve other questions that will arise, too, I believe.

The footer links are in footer.php. I just don't know how to move them or style them.

Thanks!

The footer links are in footer.php.

You should try putting <pun_status> in a class="block" DIV like in the miniportal tutorial. You might have to edit header.php to add class="box" to the brdstatus DIV though.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

Is it really as simple as just taking the links and moving them somewhere else?

pogenwurst wrote:

You should try putting <pun_status> in a class="block" DIV like in the miniportal tutorial.

I did. I did this:
<div class="block">
        <h2><span>Menu</span></h2>
        <div class="box">
        <pun_sidelinks>
        <pun_status>
        </div>
    </div>
And the formatting is all wrong. It is as if all I've done is take the style that is currently applied to pun_status where it is in the header and have forced it to sit in a narrow div. The links are skewed to the right.

pogenwurst wrote:

You might have to edit header.php to add class="box" to the brdstatus DIV though.

I don't understand that. I don't see how editing a php file will help me style something. Isn't style in the css? And also I don't understand it because I'll be wanting to move this info out of the header once I get it properly styled in the block, won't I?

panachepad wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

Is it really as simple as just taking the links and moving them somewhere else?

Yep, I've done it before. You might have to do a little editing, but nothing major.

panachepad wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

You might have to edit header.php to add class="box" to the brdstatus DIV though.

I don't understand that. I don't see how editing a php file will help me style something. Isn't style in the css? And also I don't understand it because I'll be wanting to move this info out of the header once I get it properly styled in the block, won't I?

First of all, it doesn't matter whether or not it's in header.php, it matters where the tag is in main.tpl.

Anyway, I was suggesting something like this:

<div class="block">
        <pun_status>
</div>

Thus you would edit header.php to assign the brdstatus DIV the box class so hopefully things would look right (hopefully). Style is in the CSS, but it depends heavily upon the selectors in the HTML, which is generated by the PHP files.

Alternatively, you could just look in header.php and cannibalize the <pun_status> code. Copy it, comment it out of header.php, paste it into a new file, edit it to your liking, and add it into you template via <pun_include>, as described in the docs.

If you continue to have trouble, please post your CSS and either a link or a screenshot.

Good luck! smile

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

First of all, it doesn't matter whether or not it's in header.php, it matters where the tag is in main.tpl.

Anyway, I was suggesting something like this:

<div class="block">
        <pun_status>
</div>

But that is what I did do, and I get this:
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2425/menuboxql2.jpg

pogenwurst wrote:

Thus you would edit header.php to assign the brdstatus DIV the box class so hopefully things would look right (hopefully). Style is in the CSS, but it depends heavily upon the selectors in the HTML, which is generated by the PHP files.

Alternatively, you could just look in header.php and cannibalize the <pun_status> code. Copy it, comment it out of header.php, paste it into a new file, edit it to your liking, and add it into you template via <pun_include>, as described in the docs.

I am quite confused.

Please see if this CSS helps:

#brdwelcome .conr {
    FLOAT: left;
    TEXT-ALIGN: left;
    WIDTH: 100%
    DISPLAY: block;
}

#brdwelcome  .conl {
    WIDTH: 100%;
    OVERFLOW: visible;
}

There's a good chance it won't totally work, but I think it's a start.

I'm willing to try it, but to which of these many style sheets would I add that? I don't understand this style sheet system at all. I've looked for info on creating a new style, but all I found was instructions for uploading someone else's style. I'm going to want to have my own. My plan was (once I got the framework set up) to simply copy Cobalt.css and rename it and revise it. How many style sheets are busy at work on the board at any given time?

panachepad wrote:

I'm willing to try it, but to which of these many style sheets would I add that? I don't understand this style sheet system at all. I've looked for info on creating a new style, but all I found was instructions for uploading someone else's style. I'm going to want to have my own. My plan was (once I got the framework set up) to simply copy Cobalt.css and rename it and revise it. How many style sheets are busy at work on the board at any given time?

It really isn't that difficult wink
base.css lays out the basic structure for everything, style_cs.css does the color scheme, style.css deals with spacing,  link styling, font size, etc that may change in different styles.
The only file you need to create is style.css (since that's the file loaded). Just keep in mind that it will have to contain all of what you would find in the three files wink

And as for what sheet to add that to, I would assume style.css (where style is the name of the style you're using)

Smartys, I finally caught a clue last night when I read this
http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?pid=9529#p9529
post at the punres board. I am busy doing just what you said about combining the three.

Still, I have questions. I understand that the < and > signify the items punbb calls up to the board from the database via php. It's just like the { and } in phpbb. So I don't see why the information in <pun_status> won't just appear in the Menu box styled as the Menu box is styled.. And I don't understand how adding css that pertains to brdwelcome will affect the Menu box. The modification for Miniportal called for an additional style to be placed in the head of main.tpl which was
<style type="text/css">
    #left {
        width: 120px;
        float: left;
    }
    #main {
        margin-left: 130px;
    }
    #container {
        width: 100%;
        float: right;
        margin-left: -120px;
    }
</style>
That set up the blocks, so shouldn't I style those blocks? Isn't #left the block?

12 (edited by Tubby 2006-10-24 19:20)

yes the #left is the block.....

#left {
        width: 120px;
        text-align: left
    }

Try something like that and see what you get. Im pretty sure it will stylize it for you.

If not you will have to look in to header.php and edit some code that deals with the <pun_status>

It would be relatively simple either way. its nothing complicated.

To be honest.....if i were you i would do exactly what pogenwurst had mentioned. it is probably the cleanest way to follow through with this.

oh yeah just to ask you guys.......what is the point in styling or even having #main in the css setup? I would like to know this smile

panachepad wrote:

Still, I have questions. I understand that the < and > signify the items punbb calls up to the board from the database via php. It's just like the { and } in phpbb. So I don't see why the information in <pun_status> won't just appear in the Menu box styled as the Menu box is styled.. And I don't understand how adding css that pertains to brdwelcome will affect the Menu box. The modification for Miniportal called for an additional style to be placed in the head of main.tpl which was

That's just the way CSS works, sorry. sad

Anyway, here's the deal: because style sheets are cascading, <pun_status> does inherit some styling from the menu box. The trouble is that <pun_status> also gets the styles applied to other elements, namely those with the classes "conr" and "conl". From what I can tell, it's the styles applied to precisely those classes that are causing your positioning problems, which is why I gave you the CSS that I did.

So please at least try out what I gave you, and we can work on it from there. smile To reiterate what Smartys said: anything you want applied all the time, regardless of the style the user has selected, put into base.css and anything that you want applied only to a specific style add to either style.css or style_cs.css.

Okay, now it is getting clearer. I will work on this all night [night owl] and will have good news by morning.

I hope you know that I appreciate your efforts to help me, Pogenwurst and Smartys and Tubby and Ricketh. smile

ok. Finally! smile I added the code
#brdwelcome .conz {
        text-align: left;
        width: 100%
        display: block;
}
to the style sheet, and I changed both <ul class="conl"> and <ul class="conr"> in header.php to <ul class="conz">.
This seems to have solved both the alignment and the width problem (which was associated with conl and conr).

Dang that was tough.

Now I have a whole slew of new questions involving strange dots that have appeared outside of all my boxes wherever there is a link, and also links in general and why I can't get .blockmenu A:link (and hover, visited and active) to do what I say instead of doing what I've told .pun A:link to do.

Should I start threads for each of these? Register at that other board? Go away completely? tongue

Many thanks again to all who helped me with my previous crisis. smile

The dots are your fault. tongue

Without looking at the stylesheet, from what I can remember conr and conl both contain unordered lists. By changing to conz you stopped the style rules that get rid of the bullets from working.

Why did you change to conz? Does

#brdwelcome .conr, #brdwelcome .conl {
        text-align: left;
        width: 100%
        display: block;
}

not work?

Nope, the dots were there before I even tried to change the format of the contents of the Menu box. They appeared after I combined all the stylesheets into one. I found a fix for the dots at the other board, however. smile

The reason I made conz is because conl or conr [can't recall which, it must have been conl] had a width of 40% or some such. When what you suggested didn't work, I considered changing the stylesheet's code for conl, but I was reluctant because sure as the world that would have flubbed up some other aspect that relied on conl. So, I improvised. wink

As long as you had made a new style rule and preceded conl with #brdwelcome, you would have been fine, but I suppose as long as things are working there's no sense on messing with them more (although I tend to do so anyway big_smile ).