Topic: Has anybody ever thought

Of making a PunBB for mobile phones. I've just had my new phone (o2 XDA Mini S) which uses Wap etc, but will conect to my wireless network so I use that for browsing the net and MSN etc..

Making this would give users the availibility to use PunBB forums where ever they are!

It would be an AMAZING feature as I don't think ANY other forum script has it.

ricketh.

Re: Has anybody ever thought

I noticed too that PunBB posts are unreadable from IE and Opera Mobile.

PunBB 1.3's fully compliant XHTML code should solve this, as no style will be applied when loading it in your mobile browser wink

elbekko: 1.2 has fully XHTML compliant code tongue
And it looks just fine without stylesheets as far as I can tell wink

Yeah, but it doesn't remove the stylesheets when loading up in a mobile browser.

Maybe I'm missing something, but will 1.3 remove the stylesheets? I thought that was the browser's job, not the script's job wink

You can specify media type when serving the stylesheets. If you specify media as "screen" then in theory the mobile browser should ignore the stylesheet. In practice the stylesheet will only be ignored if you have another stylesheet with media specified as "handheld". Mobile browsing is a mess at the moment. Opera mobile/mini is the most reliable way to go. If you want a solution that works in all current mobiles then I'm afraid the would involve having a seperate mobile version of the forum which is unlikely to happen. I think vBulletin and IPB have this, you often see the mobile versions of their pages when searching in Google.

Paul wrote:

You can specify media type when serving the stylesheets. If you specify media as "screen" then in theory the mobile browser should ignore the stylesheet. In practice the stylesheet will only be ignored if you have another stylesheet with media specified as "handheld". Mobile browsing is a mess at the moment. Opera mobile/mini is the most reliable way to go. If you want a solution that works in all current mobiles then I'm afraid the would involve having a seperate mobile version of the forum which is unlikely to happen. I think vBulletin and IPB have this, you often see the mobile versions of their pages when searching in Google.

Aha, thanks for clarifying that Paul smile

I've been on my local PunBB 1.3 in both IE Mobile and Opera Mobile, and both seemsed to remove the stylesheet.

elbekko wrote:

I've been on my local PunBB 1.3 in both IE Mobile and Opera Mobile, and both seemsed to remove the stylesheet.

which sounds like it has to do with the media="screen" attribute added in the HTML: want to test if that's the case by modifying 1.2? smile

Can't anymore; our WiFi is gone now sad