Topic: Internet Explorer 7 Final released

Just though I'd let you know that IE7 have now been released. While I haven't tested it that much yet, it doesn't really seem that different from the beta builds. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to use it for anything but development anyway (somthing that I'm having a few issues with, seeing as it's not meant to be installed alongside IE6. Guess I'll have to check online for some solution).

If you'd like to download it, it's only released as a bundle with yahoo mail for some reason (though I suspect it'll be up at the Ms website very soon), but what you do is to just extract the .exe with WinRar and run the "IE7-Setup.exe" file. That way, you'll avoid all that Yahoo bloat.

Get it here

Re: Internet Explorer 7 Final released

Looks like we'll get it soon in the Windows Update process.

It's up on Microsoft's site now:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dow … fault.mspx

Any gotchas to report on Windows XP?

I'd hate to f*ck up a perfectly running system with this update.

I haven't run into any yet.  I did use Acronis True Image to make an image of my drive before installing it though, just in case.

Then I'll do a backup before I attempt the plunge, thanks Richard.

How to keep IE7 from getting installed in Windows Update on November 1.

http://secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Ar … lity_Test/

lol

hcgtv wrote:

How to keep IE7 from getting installed in Windows Update on November 1.

change the settings in XP to only download the installs and notice you about it. Then use custom install to instal tha shit

10 (edited by Kato 2006-10-20 14:31)

So I've always used FireFox in the past for obvious reasons...but I do have to admit that even though you can skin it and do everything neat with it...a part of me has never liked FireFox a lot. I hated Netscape and FireFox and looks and reminds me too much of Netscape. Naturally so I suppose...

So what do you all think of IE 7 so far? Does it even have a chance to compare with security measures or is still a candle under the bonfire of light that FireFox provides?  I've been looking for an alternative browser to FireFox for a long time now just because I have never liked the feel of it. *shrugs*

Edit:  Oh...and Opera has it's own issues that I am not fond of...it displays some css and other coding differently than IE or FireFox does and I've ran in to issues with it on other websites that I was never fond of.

Kato wrote:

I hated Netscape and FireFox and looks and reminds me too much of Netscape.

I've always used Netscape, maybe it didn't have the slickest interface but it worked well for it's time.

From the beginning the mail client acted like a mail client should. I always knew what email client a person was using when I would see them quoting me under their reply or the lines went on forever. Outlook was the worst thing to hit the net, bad quoting, no line wraps and html mail.

The browser, well it had it's issues but I liked that all my settings were in one place and I could easily back them up to a zip drive and carry my settings from work to home and back. I even have a Netscape t-shirt I wear proudly, it's a bit worn by now.

If IE7 were the only game in town I'd be using Netscape 4.x wink

Off topic:
Does anyone have problems with FF? On regular occasions it wants me to fill in a feedback form. But when it does... it crashes... Every single time...

Plus I was reading that FF has more holes than IE now sad could this be true...

StevenBullen wrote:

Microsoft propaganda anyone? tongue
Doubt it really.

14 (edited by pogenwurst 2006-10-20 21:44)

StevenBullen wrote:

Off topic:
Does anyone have problems with FF? On regular occasions it wants me to fill in a feedback form. But when it does... it crashes... Every single time...

About the feedback form... was it the "Quality Feedback Agent"? If so, you've got the order mixed up - Firefox crashes, and then wants you to fill out a feedback form.

In regards to the FF vs. IE security holes, articles of that nature pop up from time to time, but the important thing to remember is that there's a whole lot more to take into account than quantity, no matter what the app in question is.

EDIT: for some more discussion, see http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8885

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

About the feedback form... was it the "Quality Feedback Agent"? If so, you've got the order mixed up - Firefox crashes, and then wants you to fill out a feedback form.

Yeah but this just tells me that if they have enough time before mozilla dies to get feedback, maybe they can go the extra step to either a) stop it crashing in the first place wink or b) reload back to the same place with the same tabs open (or at the very least reload).

Oh well I use both IE and FF so no worries on that front. Double the risk of getting caught out lol

Installed it today... still the same problem as I had in the betas: I have to open at least 3 tabs before I can open a site, and after that I can only navigate by using the links. No chance in using the address bar.

Oh well tongue

StevenBullen wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

Yeah but this just tells me that if they have enough time before mozilla dies to get feedback, maybe they can go the extra step to either a) stop it crashing in the first place wink or b) reload back to the same place with the same tabs open (or at the very least reload).

The thing is that it's not really "Mozilla" asking for feedback, it's a separate, closed source program contributed by Netscape. More info on the Quality Feedback Agent (aka Talkback): http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#talkback

The 2.0 Release Candidates have a session restore feature built-in, BTW.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

IE7 lols and still no proper support for real xhtml, it even has problems with some HTML 4.01 standarts ... doh ...
I'm getting tempted to just go ahead and ignore IE ( but what else is new, ow yha FF 2.0 wink )

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Just an Apache inside.

"Secunia"

LOL

Everyone knows that site is lame.

http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_7_ … fing_test/

21 (edited by af3 2006-10-31 17:06)

duh! Feeds with DTDs are not supported.