1 (edited by TFD 2006-11-02 20:03)

Topic: speed, titles, and message questions.

My forum is now going pretty good, 50-60 posters on all day long but now it seems to take a bit longer to post/refresh etc. before I go crazy paying for a separate server etc can any of you give a noob admin some tips on how to speed up the site? like general stuff? will pruning the topics/posts matter? I saw you can redo the search index but it may crashe etc does that do much for speed? Ive deleted a lot of posts. What about avatars? they are saved right? can I clear all those out? any speed tips appreciated.

Is there a way to give a user his own title? I have all the other stuff turned off (date registered, post count etc) and I have ranks enabled so everyone gets a rank but Id like to give a few people their own title for helping me out without it getting out of hand making new "groups"

I turned off the view for guests for all boards so now a guest just sees who is online (for speed) but there is a box that says  "board empty" is there a way to change the text or delete the box?

Thanks in advance  for any help!

2 (edited by TFD 2006-11-02 23:02)

Re: speed, titles, and message questions.

Oh and can someone give me the quick version of gzip? Should I turn it on? will it make a difference? Its compression for the webpages that works in firefox and IE?

also anyway to add an ignore user feature?

Is there a way to give a user his own title?

Go to their profile and set it under Personality.

I turned off the view for guests for all boards so now a guest just sees who is online (for speed) but there is a box that says  "board empty" is there a way to change the text or delete the box?

Change it in the index.php language file.

For the Gzip: All the modern browsers support it, so go on and use it smile
I think even Lynx supports it tongue

There is no way to set it under personality. All it shows is avatar and signature. Does it disappear if you use ranks?

where in index anyone know?

So gzip well help with the speed? I have a minimal board, I removed all the icons, no attachments, etc. Just want it as fast as possible

- Custom titles are under Personal, not Personality smile
- Look in the index.php language file, lang/English/index.php
- gzip takes slightly more CPU but leads to smaller files (and thus faster transfers)

Smartys wrote:

- Custom titles are under Personal, not Personality smile
- Look in the index.php language file, lang/English/index.php
- gzip takes slightly more CPU but leads to smaller files (and thus faster transfers)

outstanding, thank you. I cant believe I didnt see personal.

So gzip will have a real world effect or not on a pretty busy site? Do you have any answers for the first posts questions? Thanks!

At least browsing, your site seems nice and speedy to me.

TFD wrote:

will pruning the topics/posts matter?

No. In theory you might be able to get some speed increase, but we're talking tiny fractions of a second. The loss of the posts would not be worth it.

TFD wrote:

I saw you can redo the search index but it may crashe etc does that do much for speed?

No. Rebuilding the search index is mainly for people who have broken search tables (if search works properly, then your search tables aren't broken).

TFD wrote:

What about avatars? they are saved right? can I clear all those out?

Why would you clear them out?

TFD wrote:

So gzip will have a real world effect or not on a pretty busy site?

Probably. The best thing to do would be to enable it and see if it makes a perceptible difference.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

OK I'll give it a go. thanks !