Topic: There's no "I" in team

When I started working on PunBB some years ago, I was very proud of what I accomplished. PunBB became my "baby". When you work on something for a long time and it turns out people actually like what you've done, you try to hold on to that work and you become hesitant to let other people in. This happened to me with PunBB. I was glad to accept patches and stuff from other people, but whenever someone contacted me and asked if they could be part of the development team, I always politely declined their request.

Today, my feelings on this have changed. I don't feel comfortable taking all the credit for PunBB when I know that the work is much more of a team effort. I also realize that PunBB would benefit greatly from having more than myself, Paul and Bert at the helm. Over the last year, I've noticed how the amount of time and energy I have over to work on PunBB has decreased. I have a regular 9 to 5 day job, I freelance as a web developer and I'm working on a commercial web application (soon to be announced :D). Trying to squeeze in an hour here and there for PunBB just doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong, I still love working on PunBB and I have every intention of keeping PunBB alive and kicking.

So, where am I going with this. Well, obviously what I'm talking about is inviting more people to work on PunBB in an official manner. We've been keeping this under wraps for a few weeks, but today I am thrilled to present to you the PunBB Development Team (in alphabetical order):

Bert Garcia (hcgtv)
Connor Dunn (Connorhd)
Frank Hagström (Frank H)
Kristoffer Jansson (Jansson)
Neal Poole (Smartys)
Paul Sullivan (Paul)
Rickard Andersson (Rickard)
Shawn Brown (ShawnBrown)

As you can see, the team now consists of 8 people. The reason I wanted ConnorHd, Frank H, Jansson and Smartys on the team should be obvious. These guys know the ins and outs of PunBB better than anyone and they've been active contributors since PunBB's infancy. Some of you might also recognize Shawn Brown. Shawn knows JavaScript and regular expressions better than the rest of us combined. It is possible that in the future, even more people will be invited to join the development team, but I think this will suffice for now :) Please note the word "invited". We will not be accepting requests to join the team. We spot you, not the other way around.

There's more stuff in the pipeline related to this change, but I'll have to get back to you on that in a day or two.

Now, how about a big welcome to the new warriors in the fight against bloat :)

Cheers,
Rickard

Edit: I forgot. If you want to get in contact with any of us, you can either send an e-mail via our profiles or you can send them directly to <firstname>@punbb.org.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: There's no "I" in team

We're the first to say: Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

Awesome! Congratulations! Couldn't have picked better new devs. smile

Great news smile

This really is great news. I wish all of you the best of luck.

Cool stuff, instead of congratulating you all I think I should say thank you!
Thanks for all the work you've done so far, and hopefully all the brilliant things in the future big_smile

On a side note, organising the site/work in a team like this is a really good idea. I've done the same on my site, for the same reasons, and it's been a massive success!

i think you just made the obvious official Rickard. big_smile

however, WELCOME team. only good things can come from such a dedicated and knowledgeable team.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Great big_smile

*awaits 1.3 tongue*

Toppen! http://www.brunna.se/forum/img/smilies/buga.gif

hej!

Big step.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

11 (edited by Gizzmo 2006-11-17 20:47)

This is really a big step for punbb and I look forward to how fast patches and new releases will come out, now having 8 people working on it in stead of 3. Congratulation guys. *claps*

Random: There may be no "I" in team, but there is a "Me".

Awesome - can't wait to see what you guys put together in the future. smile

great news!  hard to let go sometimes, but it sounds like a great decision for punbb.

awsome!

Good! I hope we will see the release of 1.3 soon. smile
Keep up the good work.

Great, another one taking off his ego and thinking communitly smile

Congratulations!!!!!

[img]http://www.chemicalfusion.net/jords/eddieb.jpg[/img]

Congrats guys smile

Great news. I'm very excited smile

Congrats, everyone. Anything that makes PunBB better sounds like a good idea.

trevor wrote:

Great news. I'm very excited smile

+1 cool

22 (edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky 2006-11-20 20:38)

Very great news smile

There is definitely a certain amount of resemblance to what I've chosen to do with my project. It also became too much to do on my own.
But the difference is that your project just works. Once a problem is solved, it's solved. With mine you had to keep the drivers up-to-date and then sometimes new problems would come up. And some problems just could not be resolved, no dirty work-arounds possible. That's very frustrating and demotivating. I've learned a lot through it though.

Anyways, my point is, I'm glad too see this Very Good Project evolving into An Even Better Project smile Good luck to everybody on the Development Team! wink

Yet Another Happy PunBB Admin!

http://driverpacks.net/

This is a good decision. Good luck to this great project.

Congrats to the official team!!!
And many thanks for the great work ! smile

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl <-- my email after a captcha

Excellent decision.  Probably not an easy one to make... but nevertheless a good one.

Congratulations Team!

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?