1 (edited by Bodram 2006-11-21 07:32)

Topic: Using true xhtml - application/xhtml+xml

I was disepointed with the results I got out of the *one* forum I expected to be able to do it.

There are several reasons way one would run punbb as true xhtml ... basicly I'm doing it to import/export data to/from other aplications (only xml files are accepted by them...).

Not only does punbb look like crab when being served as "application/xhtml+xml" it also has loads of problems and xml errors ...

XML-parsefout: onjuist gevormd
Locatie: http://bodram.dev.revision-base.net/punbb/moderate.php?fid=6&tid=9&p=1
Regelnummer 82, kolom 84:        <p class="conr"><input type="submit" name="delete_posts" value="Delete" disabled /></p>

XHTML Validator:

Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness and validity.

1. Error Line 60 column 9: there is no attribute "name".

<a name="9"></a>

2. Error Line 90 column 84: the name and VI delimiter can be omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is specified.

...lete_posts" value="Delete" disabled /></p>

Maybe its a bug maybe its not ... I just wanted to get your opinion on it.

edit: added the validator quote wink

Re: Using true xhtml - application/xhtml+xml

Should be in programming.

3 (edited by Bodram 2006-11-21 08:40)

not sure, they clame to be valid xhtml and apparently they are not. so it could be considerd a bug.

Using "application/xhtml+xml" duiring develpment could solve some of the problems. If pages are served as "text/html" most browsers just read the code as badly formed html, when serverd as "application/xhtml+xml" every x(ht)ml error will give a nice error page ...

edit agen: Some one pointed out that it would not fix errors like *<a name="9"></a>* simply couse xml alowes you to make your own atributes ... changed "problems like this" to "some of the problems" ... roll

I'm afraid you will have to wait for the next version. 1.3 is actaully being developed/tested as application/xhtml+xml and actually seems to work as text/xml. The default for the release version will be text/html but there will be a content negotiation extension. Its too late in the day to do anything with 1.2 now. You should however be aware that the automated validator does not handle application/xhtml+xml and it is therefore normal for content negotiation scripts to serve the page as text/html to the validator (unless of course the recent improvements/bug fixes to the validator have taken care of this)

Glad to here 1.3 will work  with "application/xhtml+xml".

./msg ProjectServ REQUEST reset:deadline time:not set
<ProjectServ> request not accepted, project deadline remains.

As for the W3C validator ... right now we copy/past code in to it as we are developing on a VPN network. But thx for pointing it out.

What did you copy/paste to get that quote from the validator?

7 (edited by Bodram 2006-11-21 12:10)

source code I got from "moderate.php?fid=6&tid=9&p=1" ... "delete multiple" posts in a original 1.2.14 ver.
EDIT: to make it a bit more ... When only one post is available to delete.

I love edits

Aha!
Thanks smile