Re: The work continues

Which is perhaps something for the FAAQ?

"[ New Posts ]" is the link in the subject field that leads to the first unread post (if any) in that topic. "Show new posts since last visit" is the link at the bottom of the index page that searches for topics with new posts.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Unread by all users or just by the logged in user?

"Show new posts since last visit" isn't a new feature either.

No, just an ignored one smile

I use it all the time. I also use it in really large forums, so the feature works there too :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I meant ignored by me tongue Don't listen to me Kennel, I know nothing big_smile

:D

Cactuz wrote:

"Show new posts since last visit" isn't a new feature either.

It would be more useful if there was an option to show the new posts underneath the new threads, maybe with a java/CSS toggle. New posts would be hidden by default, you'd click a thread and poof, the new posts would appear right underneath using display:none to hide them on load, and javascript to set display:inline on click ... maybe with up/down arrows to read the beginning of the thread and a box to make a reply in. Hmm, I'm getting interested in this, maybe when 1.1 is finally released I'll try modding the Show new posts page wink

The point: You don't have to worry about reading every post in every forum that's unread before the new post markings disappear (while you're writing a reply to a post, for example) and it would be faster than clicking on a thread, finding the new posts, reading them then scrolling all the way down to reply, clicking back, remembering where you were at, clicking the next thread, and so on ...

85 (edited by chacmool 2004-01-02 14:42)

I see one problem... if this page doesn't reload when you read the threads, new posts in a thread would not show up on this page since it takes a while to read them all.

CSpotkill wrote:

It would be more useful if there was an option to show the new posts underneath the new threads, maybe with a java/CSS toggle. New posts would be hidden by default, you'd click a thread and poof, the new posts would appear right underneath using display:none to hide them on load, and javascript to set display:inline on click ... maybe with up/down arrows to read the beginning of the thread and a box to make a reply in. Hmm, I'm getting interested in this, maybe when 1.1 is finally released I'll try modding the Show new posts page ;)

That does sound like a classic mod. In other words, not something I would like to put into the "official" source :D

Edit: Not that it's a bad idea. Its just very "unpunbb:ish".

A more useful mod for large sites might be a post filter which is quite a common on other boards. It simply consists of a dropdown menu which enables you to select to view only new posts, one day old posts, one week old posts etc with the default being show all posts. Additionally it could be configured to show only threads where there had been a post within a certain period of time. It shouldn't be too difficult since it is really just a case of a providing a range of database queries which can be selected by the user. The end result is a filtered view of the board rather than having all new posts from several threads and forums in one list.

How about an option so that moderators can review registrations before allowing them?   Have one forum that's very 'language sensitive' and they want to be able to see who is registering before they let them post anything.  Any chance of something like that coming along?

By the way, this is my new favorite app.  Thanks for it, great work.

Sleet