Topic: 1.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoORRAY!!!!!

First Post!!!!!!11111

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

Re: 1.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Feel free to play around in the test forum. Especially concerning the new quote syntax.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ok, and o view the new post i used the new post link big_smile

4 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-02 14:21)

Kennel wrote:

big_smile

Feel free to play around in the test forum. Especially concerning the new quote syntax.

Yeah, one thing I don't like about the new quote syntax: Before, you could move the quote all to one line, now you can't. Could you adjust this in a stylesheet or template? Like making quotes start right after the semi-colon (and a space), or move the quote author info to the bottom-right of the box (with CSS perhaps?). Besides that, it makes quoting multiple people a lot more intuitive.

Quote Testing wrote:

Wee.

'''"""\"\' Random[ wrote:

Test

]Testing

Fun!

Nested2 wrote:
Nested3 wrote:

Does it work? Yes!

New lines ...

Aww, it can't do four nested quotes. Then again, it couldn't before either. (I assume this is a feature.)

Hmm ... how would I quote someone with a ] in their name? Or if I wanted to use a ] character?

Test\""[][ wrote:

"]Does it work?

Ah perfect. Double quotes work to get [] characters. Interesting, it doesn't end with a double quote character, but seems to end after a "] sequence. Then again, random fiddling gave me the error: "The BBCode syntax in the message is incorrect. Missing one or more end tags for [quote.]" when I did this:

Edit: Damn, even trying to show what I did, gives me "The BBCode syntax in the message is incorrect. Missing start tag for [/code.]"

What I did was ... oh never mind, I just sent you an email...

CSpotkill wrote:

Yeah, one thing I don't like about the new quote syntax: Before, you could move the quote all to one line, now you can't. Could you adjust this in a stylesheet or template? Like making quotes start right after the semi-colon (and a space), or move the quote author info to the bottom-right of the box (with CSS perhaps?). Besides that, it makes quoting multiple people a lot more intuitive.

Sure. Just edit line 224 in include/parser.php.

Edit: I guess you'll have to wait a few more hours though :)

CSpotkill wrote:

Aww, it can't do four nested quotes. Then again, it couldn't before either. (I assume this is a feature.)

Yes, it's a feature. Its there to prevent very deep quote depths that clutter up the page. You can manually set the maximum allowed quote depth in include/parser.php.

CSpotkill wrote:

Edit: Damn, even trying to show what I did, gives me "The BBCode syntax in the message is incorrect. Missing start tag for [/code.]"

What I did was ... oh never mind, I just sent you an email...

Well, the new quote syntax comes with a price. Usernames cannot contain a square bracket and a singlequote and a doublequote at the same time. You cannot register with a username containing all those characters. The reason is that if usernames were allowed to contain them all, there would be no way to determine when the username stops and the quote starts.

Getting a message stating that the BBCode syntax is incorrect when trying to quote a user called ?"?Test\""[]["]?"? is expected because there can be no such user :) It is possible to make up an illegal username and quote it, but it will not look good.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'll explain a little more how it works. When you quote someone, the forum looks at the username and determines if it should enclose the username in singlequotes, doublequotes or not at all. Here are some examples:

Username:       Tag when quoting that user:

PBB-Kennel      [quote=PBB-Kennel]
[PBB]Kennel     [quote='[PBB]Kennel']
[PBB]"Kennel    [quote='[PBB]"Kennel']
[PBB]'Kennel    [quote="[PBB]'Kennel"]

I hope that clears some things up.

Did you move the "Post entered, redirecting" thing down & across a bit too? big_smile

Yupp.

It's the little things... wink

10 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-02 14:07)

Kennel wrote:
CSpotkill wrote:

Well, the new quote syntax comes with a price. Usernames cannot contain a square bracket and a singlequote and a doublequote at the same time. You cannot register with a username containing all those characters. The reason is that if usernames were allowed to contain them all, there would be no way to determine when the username stops and the quote starts.

Getting a message stating that the BBCode syntax is incorrect when trying to quote a user called ?"?Test\""[]["]?"? is expected because there can be no such user smile It is possible to make up an illegal username and quote it, but it will not look good.

I understand and figured that was the "excuse" roll Still, it was kind of confusing to put all that inside a code tag, but it wouldn't let me post it because I was "missing the start tag" of code! I had the start tag of code, it was quote that had the error. Why didn't it just post it or say, Invalid Quote Syntax or similar ...

CSpotkill wrote:

I understand and figured that was the "excuse" :rolleyes: Still, it was kind of confusing to put all that inside a code tag, but it wouldn't let me post it because I was "missing the start tag" of code! I had the start tag of code, it was quote that had the error. Why didn't it just post it or say, Invalid Quote Syntax or similar ...

That's what you said in your e-mail. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. Could you please try to explain it one more time.

12 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-02 14:20)

Well ... I didn't expect it to actually parse the code inside of a code tag.

What I did was attempt to post the invalid quote tags inside of a code tag to show you ... it returend an error about missing the starting code tag. But I had written both starting and ending code tags and as far as I could tell, this should have been valid BBcode.

Sure the quote tag was invalid, but it was INSIDE the code tag and therefore shouldn't have affected the code tag itself, correct? So why return an error about the code tag? If you must parse the inside of a code tag, why not tell me it's an error with the quote tag?

Hmm .... Maybe it's me, I can't seem to quite reproduce it exactly, again ... bah. Forget it. It's probably just me, trying to nest two code tags and somehow cancelling out the second code tag, leaving an orphaned code end tag ...

CSpotkill wrote:

Well ... I didn't expect it to actually parse the code inside of a code tag.

What I did was attempt to post the invalid quote tags inside of a code tag to show you ... it returend an error about missing the starting code tag. But I had written both starting and ending code tags and as far as I could tell, this should have been valid BBcode.

Sure the quote tag was invalid, but it was INSIDE the code tag and therefore shouldn't have affected the code tag itself, correct? So why return an error about the code tag? If you must parse the inside of a code tag, why not tell me it's an error with the quote tag?

Hmm .... Maybe it's me, I can't seem to quite reproduce it exactly, again ... bah. Forget it. It's probably just me, trying to nest two code tags and somehow cancelling out the second code tag, leaving an orphaned code end tag ...

Yes, I am quite sure it must be something like that. Text between [code.] and [/code.] isn't parsed and can therefore not produce a BBCode syntax error.

Great work Kennel smile