Topic: Polls & PMs in next version?

I know there is a mod for both, but I would really like to have polls and pms as a part of punbb original script.

any chances of happening this smile

Re: Polls & PMs in next version?

Probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they come as official extensions.

Beside, PM is a bad idea altogether (wy invent again the email ??). For those of us who don't want it, as an extension/plugin it's ideal, everyone could find it's own answer.

I think for any message board today PM/poll is a must have. Probably we should have a global switch in punbb where we can turn off these features.

While I don't mind plugins, its just makes thing complicated when you have to upgrade your board.

Jérémie wrote:

Beside, PM is a bad idea altogether (wy invent again the email ??). For those of us who don't want it, as an extension/plugin it's ideal, everyone could find it's own answer.

pingme wrote:

While I don't mind plugins, its just makes thing complicated when you have to upgrade your board.

Not with the new extension system. It will all be handled automatic smile

6 (edited by jlangrock 2006-11-28 09:25)

Janson does I understood your writing correctly, with the new 1.3 all mods I have integrated will be upgraded just in the upgrade process, because that is something I'm worried about, how I will transfer my "new" system to the next generation of PunBB. At the moment I have more then 15 plugins and around 50 mods integrated.

The poor horseman without horses
www.galopp-sport.eu

http://claimid.com/jlangrock
[img]http://claimid.com/images/hcard.gif[/img]

7 (edited by Gooom 2006-11-28 10:44)

pingme wrote:

I think for any message board today PM/poll is a must have. Probably we should have a global switch in punbb where we can turn off these features.

I agree !!
Nowadays, a BB without PMs and Polls is not a real BB ... big_smile
And I think PunBB will not be heavier with these functionalities

Gooom wrote:
Jérémie wrote:

I agree !!
Nowadays, a BB without PMs and Polls is not a real BB ... big_smile
And I think PunBB will not be heavier with these functionalities

I add again, just these 2 things will make punbb a complete yet light weight & srtong alternative to bigboys big_smile

those 2 will most likely be one of the first mods converted to extensions so installing them will as simple as uploading some files and a click or 2, as with any extension.

my thread here lists a few mods that are slated for conversion by either the authors or volunteers.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Let me try to clear this up a bit,

PMs and Polls will NOT be included in PunBB 1.3

PunBB 1.3 will have an extension system to make installing mods easier. This will mean the major mods can be installed by simply uploading files and clicking install, no file editing is needed.

Not all mods will be able to use the extension system, some of the more obscure ones may still require files to be manually edited.

Not all mods will be upgraded for 1.3 when 1.3 comes out, however all the major ones should be, (PM and Poll will almost certainly be).

Mods should be able to upgrade from their 1.2 version to 1.3, however, this is down to the mod author so we can't guarantee it, since I am the author of the PM mod, I can say it will be able to upgrade from 1.2.

Hope that helps.

11 (edited by Jannejt 2006-12-04 16:05)

Connorhd wrote:

PunBB 1.3 will have an extension system to make installing mods easier. This will mean the major mods can be installed by simply uploading files and clicking install, no file editing is needed.

that's sound very very nice, and if PM mod will be updated fast for 1.3 release, that's very good too..

is there schedule for 1.3 release yet?

edit:

Connorhd wrote:

the first rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the second rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the third rule of punbb club is you DO NOT ask when the next version will be released.

tongue

hehe, ok smile