Topic: So whats next Rickard?

Now that 1.1 is looking quite good, and Pun is almost a complete article, do you have plans to make anything else in the near feature?

PunCMS?
PunCart?
PunChat?

smile

Re: So whats next Rickard?

Well, not really. I have a few things I want to do for the next major version of PunBB though. Here's what's on the list so far:

- Make it possible to download your profile as an XML document (or something). If you then want to register in another PunBB forum, you could just upload your profile.xml to that forum and you won't have to fill out all the forms. I'm considering taking this up with other BB developers. Who knows, if there is interest, maybe we could agree on some kind of standard for this.

- Add SQLite support. SQLite is bundled with PHP5 so more or less everyone will have access to it in a year or so when PHP5 is widespread. On top of that, SQLite is really cool :)

- Implement simple file-based caching of persistant and semi-persistent data. What this means is to cache e.g. the forum configuration or the "Jump to" menu to a file instead of fetching it from the database and generating it every page view.

- Make everything work with error level E_ALL. This means I should stop using unintialized variables. Not sure about this one.

- Make it possible to use PunBB as a news service (or something). See this topic.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by chacmool 2004-01-05 11:16)

Kennel wrote:

- Make it possible to download your profile as an XML document (or something). If you then want to register in another PunBB forum, you could just upload your profile.xml to that forum and you won't have to fill out all the forms. I'm considering taking this up with other BB developers. Who knows, if there is interest, maybe we could agree on some kind of standard for this.

Cool! I really hope they'll lissen to you. Thumbs up for standards!

Make it possible to download your profile as an XML document (or something)

Maybe you could make that a vCard (which can be represented as XML easily).  It supports most basic information BB profiles usually contain.

eelco wrote:

Make it possible to download your profile as an XML document (or something)

Maybe you could make that a vCard (which can be represented as XML easily).  It supports most basic information BB profiles usually contain.

Excellent. I'll have a look at it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."