Topic: Cant link My PunBB forum into my website navigation menu.

I have my PunBB setup at www.mydomain.com/punbb/index.php but I want the forum to be located at www.mydomain.com/forums so that when you are on my website you can click on "forums" in the navigation menu and be brought to the PunBB forum.  As of right now, you have to click on "forums" and it brings you to a page with a link to the actual forum.  I tried to change the "Forums" navigation location to /punbb/index.php but my website builer from 1and1 wont allow me to put dashes or periods in the URL location and they make it automatically end with ".html" so i cannot use the ".php"  I need this to work, PLEASE HELP!  Thank you so much!

Re: Cant link My PunBB forum into my website navigation menu.

you can rename the folder from "punbb" to "forums" but make sure the change the base url in the administration panel

www.Everlasting.co.nr is a friendly MapleStory guild and community

Ok I did what you said, but the only way to access my forums is to type in or link to mydomain.com/forums/index.php I cannot access the forums by typing in mydomain.com/forums which is what my navigation bar links to.  I need it to be like the Punbb.org website how when you click on "Forums" ir brings you right to the forums.  Once again, when I create a new tab on my navigation bar, it only lets me link to /xxxxx.hmtl and not /xxxxxx.php also, the i can only access my forums if i type in /forums/index.php and not just /forums

can you give us a link?

5 (edited by Burnsy86 2006-12-20 12:49)

www.singersconnect.net is the main website and then the forum is at www.singersconnect.net/punbb/index.php  I changed the folder back to "punbb" because it did not change anything I didnt wanna go change all of my links to the new "forums/index.php" for no reason.  If I change the "Forum" tab's destination from the navigation menu to singersconnect.net/punbb it also does nothing.  You will see that when you click on "Forums" from the navigation menu you will be directed to "punbb.html" and when you click the link on that page you will be directed to "/punbb/index.php"         - Thank you for any help I can get!

P.S - Maybe a subdomain could be an alternative?

That's odd... http://www.singersconnect.net/punbb/ and http://www.singersconnect.net/punbb/index.php should be the same page, but they aren't. It seems to me that your host might not be properly configured (or maybe you've used a bad .htaccess rule?).

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

8 (edited by MadHatter 2006-12-20 18:46)

<rant>I use the same providers as they do, and I absolutely hate their error pages... I sure as hell don't like my 404 pages showing up 1and1.com ads supposedly having something to do w/ my site...</rant>

you need to remove the index.html file from your punbb directory.  thats why the page is showing up wrong if you don't specify the index.php at the end of the punbb directory.

if you copy the html for your punbb.html into your main.tpl, and replace the code inside your block that says click here to open, w/ the <pun_xxx> tags, then the forums will show up inside your site template as if it were integrated (except the link to the forums would need to be http://signersconnect.net/punbb instead of punbb.html)

9 (edited by Burnsy86 2006-12-21 00:38)

MadHatter, you said you also use 1and1?  Tell me if this has anything to do with my problem:  when I use my FTP client and access my server, the main directory for my website is "/." and then if i open that I get "log" and "wsb39468142398" should I be uploading PunBB to " /. " or "wbs802489745" because when I go to "Domain Overview" it says my domain name and then webspace - wsb47620874 so I assumed that was the main place to upload because when I open wsb it shows all of my pages such as forums.html, index.html, example.html, and so on...

10 (edited by MadHatter 2006-12-21 02:42)

I don't know if our accounts work the same.  I was one of their original members that they gave 3 yrs free to, and I just recently converted over to their business class service, but in your domain overview
http://sanity-free.org/misc/1and1/1.png

click on your domain and edit the destination
http://sanity-free.org/misc/1and1/2.png

where ever you choose is the root level folder (here dev.sanity-free.org is rooted in /dev)
http://sanity-free.org/misc/1and1/3.png

then ftp to your server, and whatever folder you specified above will be the starting point
http://sanity-free.org/misc/1and1/4.png

like there /dev is the root or home directory for dev.sanity-free.org.  if you had /dev/punbb, the dev.sanity-free.org/punbb would be where that points to.  inside punbb make sure there isn't an index.html file in that folder.

Thank you for going out of your way to give me such a detailed description, I will be sure to try it out.

Ok well the good news is that now when I go to singersconnect.net/punbb it directs me to the forums and there was an index.html in the punbb folder.  But my navigation button goes to /punbb.html and I cannot get to the forums through /punbb.html and my web host forces me to use .html for navigation button destinations.

ok make a new index.html and add just this in it

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=index.php">

this will redirect you to index.php instantly

are you using the website builder or the dynamic website thing?

you can create a file called .htaccess in the home directory for your site, and add the following text:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^forum/index\.html$ /forum/index.php [L]

then for your button destination, use /forum/index.html and it will take you directly to the forums.

if you have to have a physical file then use viperxx's suggestion and add that to the punbb.html file.

Thank you to ALL who helped, the problem has been fixed!  But hey, since all of you are so internet saavy, does anyone know how to make it so people can upload music onto my website, such as Myspace where people can post their own songs?  Is there software for this? If not, then thanks anyways!