Topic: PunBB 1.1 - Impressions

Post any problem reports or just your impressions on PunBB 1.1 in this topic.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.1 - Impressions

Three bugs have surfaced. They really needed to be fixed directly, so I've updated the release. The bugs were:

- The post report function was broken (grrr).
- The delete forum drop down in Admin/Forums had invalid HTML in it which made it look wierd in Opera (reported by chacmool).
- Form e-mail was broken.

If you've already installed 1.1, please download again and update the scripts misc.php and admin_forums.php.

Edit: Added the form e-email bug.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The "Send e-mail" function doesn't seem to work.

Info
Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

Go back.

Muggen wrote:

The "Send e-mail" function doesn't seem to work.

Info
Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

Go back.

You are absolutely correct. I've updates the release once again! Thanks :)

Which files does the fix concern? cuz with all the mods.. gah.

Oh, sorry. It's misc.php.

7 (edited by TwaN 2004-01-03 23:14)

TwaN från forum.com har skickat ett meddelande till
dig. Du kan svara till TwaN genom att svara på detta e-postmeddelande.

Meddelandet lyder:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
test

--
forum.com E-posttjänst
(Svara inte på detta meddelande)

Tyckte det såg konstigt ut att man ska svara på mailet för att maila tillbaka, men sen står det att man inte ska svara på mailet?
Hur ska du ha det? smile

Edit: English? tongue

Workstation:Debian GNU/Linux & Windows XP, PIII 1Ghz, 384MB RAM, 120GB (WD), AOpen GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, SB Live! 5.1,
Server: Debian GNU/Linux, PII 300Mhz, 192MBRAM, 7.5+43GB

*caught* Swedish *cought*

TwaN wrote:

TwaN från forum.com har skickat ett meddelande till
dig. Du kan svara till TwaN genom att svara på detta e-postmeddelande.

Meddelandet lyder:
test

--
forum.com E-posttjänst
(Svara inte på detta meddelande)

Tyckte det såg konstigt ut att man ska svara på mailet för att maila tillbaka, men sen står det att man inte ska svara på mailet?
Hur ska du ha det? :)

Edit: English? :P

True. I'll fix that in the next version. It's not so important that it needs fixing directly.

And, please speak english :)

10 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-04 22:44)

In admin_users.php, there's no field to search for MSN Messenger wink

And it would be great if I could filter based on email preference, ie. disabled, but allow form, enabled, etc. That way I could see how many people use the new feature ...

Finally, some are complaining about the lack of HTML in their sigs. (I enabled it in 1.0.1 but it's disabled now and the option's disappeared.) The perfect solution, in my mind, would be to have some kind of "trusted" level, not moderators, but a level to allow HTML in sigs, and possibly in posts as well. Of course, if I could just re-enable HTML in everyone's sigs, that would be a good compromise. wink

Um, for some reason, the edit by line is coming out rather ugly. It looks like normal text, and its one "<br>" from the sig begining. Looks like this

test1

Last edited by zc923 (Today Sunday 7:19:13)

http://www.tcwonline.org/~zc923/punbb/v … id=154#154

theres the linkage

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

Um, for some reason, the edit by line is coming out rather ugly. It looks like normal text, and its one "<br>" from the sig begining. Looks like this

test1

Last edited by zc923 (Today Sunday 7:19:13)

http://www.tcwonline.org/~zc923/punbb/v … id=154#154

theres the linkage

Have you really added the new CSS classes to your custom styles like the install documentation says?

Look at the post by TwaN above. That's the way it should look.

Edit: I'm in a good mood today, so I did it for you. Just add the following to your custom css-file(s):

TABLE.punspacer {
    border: none;
    width: 100%
}
.punedited {
    font-size: 10px;
    font-style: italic;
}
.punheadline {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-weight: bold;
}

CSpotkill wrote:

In admin_users.php, there's no field to search for MSN Messenger ;)

Noted. Will fix for next version :)

CSpotkill wrote:

And it would be great if I could filter based on email preference, ie. disabled, but allow form, enabled, etc. That way I could see how many people use the new feature ...

I can see how that would be interesting in some cases. However, if I add that, I fear I must also add the option to sort by all the other option fields in the profile. I'm a bit sceptical on this.

CSpotkill wrote:

Finally, some are complaining about the lack of HTML in their sigs. (I enabled it in 1.0.1 but it's disabled now and the option's disappeared.) The perfect solution, in my mind, would be to have some kind of "trusted" level, not moderators, but a level to allow HTML in sigs, and possibly in posts as well. Of course, if I could just re-enable HTML in everyone's sigs, that would be a good compromise. ;)

To enable HTML in signatures, just comment out line 345 in include/parser.php. It should look like this:

$message = pun_htmlspecialchars($message);

However, there is nothing stopping people from doing "evil things" when HTML is enabled. They could for example just enter </table> in their signature and then the whole page layout would be messed up. They could also use the script tag to run JavaScripts and other undesirable things.

14 (edited by zc923 2004-01-05 01:17)

Thanks Kennel. Was this in the Install.html? I'm gussing no, other wise I must have been extremly excited while installing 1.1 and missed it. roll

Do, or do not.

zc923 wrote:

Thanks Kennel. Was this in the Install.html? I'm gussing no, other wise I must have been extremly excited while installing 1.1 and missed it. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's step number 4 :)

16 (edited by chacmool 2004-01-05 11:20)

Logged in at school today, and first thought was: "Ohh, no! Not the new_post_since_last_visit-fuckup again" untill I remembered that the cookie-code was rewritten.

Much better this way! smile

I have one problem with the new version, I can't read any posts wink The update script worked well and didn't report any errors, but when I try the enter a topic a get the following message:

File: /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php
Line: 77

PunBB reported: Unable to fetch topic info 
Database reported: Unknown column 'subscribers' in 'field list' (Errno: 1054) 
"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

dR slIzer wrote:

I have one problem with the new version, I can't read any posts ;) The update script worked well and didn't report any errors, but when I try the enter a topic a get the following message:

That would mean that you are using an old version of viewtopic.php. You must have forgotten it during the update or something.

19 (edited by dR slIzer 2004-01-05 19:12)

Kennel wrote:
dR slIzer wrote:

I have one problem with the new version, I can't read any posts wink The update script worked well and didn't report any errors, but when I try the enter a topic a get the following message:

That would mean that you are using an old version of viewtopic.php. You must have forgotten it during the update or something.

Hmm, strange. I will try to upload the files once more smile

Edit: It works now, the only file that wasn't updated was viewtopic.php. Seems like I forgot to mark it or something smile

"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

dR slIzer wrote:

Hmm, strange. I will try to upload the files once more :)

Edit: It works now, the only file that wasn't updated was viewtopic.php. Seems like I forgot to mark it or something :)

As we say in sweden: Even the sun has it's dark spots :)

21 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-06 05:01)

I just hid the user post count in Admin: Options. It said it would affect the user list (see below), but the new user list still shows post counts for each person. It does remove the post count in topic view, however.

Show user post count
Show the number of posts a user has made (affects topic view, profile and userlist).

22 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-06 05:24)

Kennel wrote:
CSpotkill wrote:

I can see how that would be interesting in some cases. However, if I add that, I fear I must also add the option to sort by all the other option fields in the profile. I'm a bit sceptical on this.

How about adding an Admin: Statistics page, with pie charts for email preference, style usage, user post counts and maybe graphs for post frequency, user post count vs date registered, instant messenger preference, hourly forum usage and a list of terms people searched for?

Kennel wrote:

... [T]here is nothing stopping people from doing "evil things" when HTML is enabled. They could for example just enter </table> in their signature and then the whole page layout would be messed up. They could also use the script tag to run JavaScripts and other undesirable things.

I know. It's a lot easier to simply allow some tags ... or to restrict it. I'm thinking of using the avatar scripts and making a variation for signature images, maybe allowing flash to be uploaded as well. All people wanted the HTML for was to post a Flash signature, or to use ASCII art. Creating options for both in Profile and keeping HTML disabled would be more secure. Any plans on doing this, or should I write a mod?

CSpotkill wrote:

I just hid the user post count in Admin: Options. It said it would affect the user list (see below), but the new user list still shows post counts for each person. It does remove the post count in topic view, however.

Show user post count
Show the number of posts a user has made (affects topic view, profile and userlist).

The setting doesn't affect admins and mods. Log out and you will see that it doesn't display it. However, as you pointed out, the post count doesn't show up in viewtopic even as admin, so that's a bug though. I'll fix it.

CSpotkill wrote:

How about adding an Admin: Statistics page, with pie charts for email preference, style usage, user post counts and maybe graphs for post frequency, user post count vs date registered, instant messenger preference, hourly forum usage and a list of terms people searched for?

I'm planning some kind of module system for the admin interface in PunBB 1.2. Once that's in place, making a statistics module should be easy.

CSpotkill wrote:

I know. It's a lot easier to simply allow some tags ... or to restrict it. I'm thinking of using the avatar scripts and making a variation for signature images, maybe allowing flash to be uploaded as well. All people wanted the HTML for was to post a Flash signature, or to use ASCII art. Creating options for both in Profile and keeping HTML disabled would be more secure. Any plans on doing this, or should I write a mod?

What you could do is to add two new BBCode tags: [flash] and [ascii] (or something). It shouldn't be that hard.

24 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-01-07 09:45)

Kennel wrote:

The setting doesn't affect admins and mods. Log out and you will see that it doesn't display it. However, as you pointed out, the post count doesn't show up in viewtopic even as admin, so that's a bug though. I'll fix it.
I'm planning some kind of module system for the admin interface in PunBB 1.2. Once that's in place, making a statistics module should be easy.

Great wink

Kennel wrote:

What you could do is to add two new BBCode tags: [flash] and [ascii] (or something). It shouldn't be that hard.

I was just about to reply saying I'll just use my own custom [flash] and [ascii] tags, having thought about it further yesterday. I'll start working on it now. Maybe I'll try using the Flash Satay method of embedding Flash. Is PunBB Standards-compliant? (What are web standards and why should I use them?) I've already noticed it's using tables, but it's also using some CSS ...

CSpotkill wrote:

I was just about to reply saying I'll just use my own custom [flash] and [ascii] tags, having thought about it further yesterday. I'll start working on it now. Maybe I'll try using the Flash Satay method of embedding Flash. Is PunBB Standards-compliant? (What are web standards and why should I use them?) I've already noticed it's using tables, but it's also using some CSS ...

PunBB 1.1 outputs valid HTML 4.01 Transitional. PunBB 1.2 will output valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional.