Topic: Re: Newbie Help Needed!

Hi :-)
O.k. I've visited the PunBB site on many occassions - all on the recommendation of others - and its a fantastic product!  Thing is, I'm a total newbie to all this and not even sure how to get started.  I've just started using Php . . .now I want to run a forum on my site.  Can anyone give me an idiot proof guide to getting started.  I've read through the initial instructions, and am even stuck on those:
1.  Copy/upload all contents of the directory upload/ into the directory where you want to run your forums.
. . . Which directory . . .do I make a new one?  Sorry this sounds like a ridiculous question - but I get confused with the whole directory thing being self-taught!
2. Run install.php from the forum root directory (e.g. open http://mydomain/myforums/install.php in your browser). Follow the instructions.
. . . I'm afraid this means absolute gobbeldy-gook to me . . .
Would appreciate some help from someone who knows!!  (I'm a quick learner! ;-)) . . . .
Thanks in advance :-)

Sb

Re: Re: Newbie Help Needed!

1. You create the directory (you may know them better as folders) in what you want your forum to be. If you want your whole site to be a forum, don't and just upload it in the root. Else, you create a new one and upload your forum there.

2. Once your forum is uploaded, open the link to it in your webbrowser. Then follow the steps in install.php

1. If you're uploading using an FTP program, they usually offer you a way. If you're confused about the word directory, directories are just like folders in Windows.
2. Well, lets say I own the site www.example.com. If I upload the contents of the upload directory to a folder called "forum" in the site, I can access the forum at http://www.example.com/forum/. To install, you need to run the install.php file from your webbrowser. In my example, I would go to http://www.example.com/forum/index.php

:-)  Thanks so much for that - I understand now!  It was the word directory that got me stumped - but no more ;-)  I will try those steps and get back to you (no doubt . . . .when it all goes wrong ;-)) lol  Thanks again!

Hi Thanks
I have uploaded the files to the server.  PHP and Mysql are both enabled.  However, I've just tried to Run install.php at the URL www.fatjackspokershack.com/forum/install.php and I'm getting the following message:
The requested URL /forum/install.php was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.fatjackspokershack.com Port 80

What has happened & what do I need to do to correct. . . ??

Thanks

Are you sure you uploaded it to the correct dir?

I uploaded it to a directory named 'forum'??  Does that need to be in the html directory?  Also, I uploaded all the files as they appeared ie: with subdirectories.  Is that correct?

Yes, if you want to access it through your webbrowser it should be in the html directory.
And yes, all the subdirectories are correct.

O.k. . . . now I'm getting the following message:

Warning: main(./include/common.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/u3/blaqueen/html/forum/index.php on line 27

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required './include/common.php' (include_path='.:') in /home/u3/blaqueen/html/forum/index.php on line 27

any ideas?

Yes, you didn't upload everything.

O.k. everythings uploaded.  Trying to install and am getting:

Warning: main(./include/dblayer/mysql.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/u3/blaqueen/html/forum/install.php on line 335

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required './include/dblayer/mysql.php' (include_path='.:') in /home/u3/blaqueen/html/forum/install.php on line 335

I've checked mysql.php and its been uploaded fine . . . ???

Odd. If everything is uploaded correctly you shouldn't be getting any errors.

No clue, sorry. Except that your directories got messed up.

OK I'll recheck . . . .thanks for your time ;-)