Topic: silent edit for users?

Ive searched and the only thing I saw was to make silent edit the default. Is it possible to make silent edit on for users? or is there a switch Im not seeing? right now admin has a box and users dont.

Re: silent edit for users?

you would have to edit viewtopic.php and remove the section that outputs the "last edited by..." part

I would change edit.php to offer the checkbox and not update the edited time, then you won't need to change viewtopic.php.

See also: Edit Grace Period

guardian34 wrote:

I would change edit.php to offer the checkbox and not update the edited time, then you won't need to change viewtopic.php.

See also: Edit Grace Period

I tried the Gracemod plug-in twice but it does not seem to work here.

I checked *very* carefully several times that I edited correctly according to the instructions... but still the same message appears "edited by". I'm using PunBB 1.2.14.

It's by no means graceful, but...

comment or delete the following block of code from edit.php:

if ($is_admmod)
{
    if ((isset($_POST['form_sent']) && isset($_POST['silent'])) || !isset($_POST['form_sent']))
        $checkboxes[] = '<label><input type="checkbox" name="silent" value="1" tabindex="'.($cur_index++).'" checked="checked" /> '.$lang_post['Silent edit'];
    else
        $checkboxes[] = '<label><input type="checkbox" name="silent" value="1" tabindex="'.($cur_index++).'" /> '.$lang_post['Silent edit'];
}

comment out or remove the following line from viewtopic.php:

<?php if ($cur_post['edited'] != '') echo "\t\t\t\t\t".'<p class="postedit"><em>'.$lang_topic['Last edit'].' '.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_post['edited_by']).' ('.format_time($cur_post['edited']).')</em></p>'."\n"; ?>

I believe that should work.

EDIT: oops, I misunderstood you. Ignore this.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

6 (edited by guardian34 2007-01-01 22:47)

The Grace Period mod only works for a short time after the message has been posted.

Try this: http://wiki.punres.org/Silent_edit_for_users

Edit: Fixed URL

guardian34 wrote:

The Grace Period mod only works for a short time after the message has been posted.

Try this: http://wiki.punres.org/Silent_edit_for_users

Edit: Fixed URL

Thanks, that can be handy.

However, I still want to use the functionality of Grace period. In my tests I tried editing about 15 seconds after the post was made. It was set to 1800 seconds grace period.

8 (edited by MadHatter 2007-01-03 20:56)

edit the bit of code pogen posted and replace it w/ a hidden form element named silent w/ a value of 1 or edit the isadmmod if statement & comment out the if and braces.

My mistake; Check out the mod readme now, I fixed something.

guardian34 wrote:

My mistake; Check out the mod readme now, I fixed something.

Thank a lot, it works fine now.